UMass women's tennis falls to UConn, 5-2
Oct. 2, 2002
Storrs, CONN. - The University of Massachusetts fell to UConn in women's collegiate tennis action, 5-2, yesterday on the road. The loss dropped UMass to 1-1 on the season.
The Huskies started out the match 2-0 when their No.1 and No.2 doubles teams defeated the Minutewomen. In the No.1 flight Trinell Russell and Barbara Schumsky defeated Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) and Camilla Knight (Devon, England), 8-5. In the No.2 flight April Dixon and Colleen Connors defeated Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) and Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.), 8-6. UMass won its first point of the match when Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Jana Bartoloni (Charlestown, Mass.) defeated Whitney Simcik and Jessica Shea, 8-4, in the No.3 flight.
The Minutewomen came back to win one singles point when Edelstein defeated Simcik, 6-2, 6-2, in the No.1 flight.
The Minutewomen return to UMass for their lone home match of the fall season on Oct. 4 at 3 p.m.
UConn 5, UMass 2
1. Sasha Edelstein (UM) def Whitney Simcik (UC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Trinell Russell (UC) def Stephanie Price 1-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Jennifer LoRusso (UC) def Jane Bartoloni (UM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Barbara Schumsky (UC) def Camilla Knight (UM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Susan Hyams (UM) def April Dixon (UC) 7-6, 6-2
6. Colleen Connors (UC) def Dorothy Iwanowicz 6-4, 6-4
Doubles: 1. Russell/ Schumsky (UC) def Knight Edelstein (UM) 8-5
2. Dixon / Connors (UC) def Price / Iwanowicz (UM) 8-6
3. Bartoloni / Hyams (UM) def Simcik / Shea (UC) 8-4
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|