Women's Tennis Edges Amherst, 5-4
Sept. 18, 2002
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts defeated cross-town rival Amherst College, 5-4, last night in women's collegiate tennis action. The loss was the first of the season for the Jeffs, who are now 2-1, while the Minutewomen are 1-0.
Amherst started the match off by taking two out the three doubles points. The No. 3 tandem of freshman Jana Bartoloni (Charlestown, Mass.) and junior Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) won 8-4 for the only UMass doubles point.
The Minutewomen bounced back to take four singles points and secure their first win of the season. At No. 1 and 2, sophomores Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) and Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.), the Atlantic 10 Rookie and Performer of the Week, were both winners in straight sets. Also victorious for Massachusetts was Hyams and Bartoloni.
The Minutewomen return to action Sept. 21-22, competing in the Yale Tournament.
UMass 5 Amherst 4
1. Sasha Edelstein (UM) def Kristen Raverta (AC) 7-5, 6-2
2. Stephanie Price (UM) def Rachel Holt (AC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Tristen Hedrick (AC) def Camilla Knight (UM) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
4. Susan Hyams (UM) def Wallis Molchen (AC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Roopali Agarwal (AC) def Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 6-4, 6-1
6. Jana Bartoloni (UM) def Paige Lawrence (AC) 6-4, 6-3
1. Holt / Hedrick (AC) def Knight Edelstein (UM) 8-4
2. Lawrence / Raverta (AC) def Price / Iwanowicz (UM) 8-6
3. Bartoloni / Hyams (UM) def Agarwal / Molchen (AC) 8-4.
UMass (1-0, 0-0 Atlantic 10)
GET YOUR OFFICIAL