Women's Tennis Wins Verizon Atlantic 10 Championship
April 22, 2001
HAMILTON, N.J. -- The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team defeated top-seeded George Washington, 4-2, this afternoon at Veterans Park in Hamilton, N.J., to capture the 2001 Verizon Atlantic 10 Championship. The only other title match appearance for the Minutewomen was in 1998.
In singles action, UMass got wins from freshman Francesca Mancini (Milan, Italy), freshman Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii), and junior Lindsey Gillooly (Stoughton, Mass.). The Minutewomen also got a pair of doubles wins from junior Helena Horak (Westlake Village, Calif.) and freshman Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) as well Gillooly and Depontes.
With the win, the Minutewomen earned a spot in the 2001 NCAA Women's Tennis Championship. The regionals will be held May 12-13, at campus sites. The championship will be May 17-25, at the Lincoln Tennis Center in Stone Mountain, Ga. UMass will learn its opponent and location when the NCAA selection show is held on Thursday, May 3, at 5:30 p.m.
UMass 4 GW 2 (finals)
1. Francesca Mancini (UM) def Tracy Wei (GW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Nazli Gencsoy (GW) 7-6, 7-6
3. Lindy First (GW) def Annie Hamilton (UM) 6-3, 7-6
4. Helena Horak (UM) vs. Kat Stastny (GW) 6-2, 4-6, 5-4 DNF
5. Sam Fisher (GW) def Susan Hyams (UM) 6-2, 6-0
6. Lindsey Gillooly (UM) def Susie Coggin (GW) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
1. Mancini/Hamilton (UM) vs. First/Stastny (GW) 7-4, DNF
2. Horak/Hyams (UM) def Wei/Gencsoy (GW) 8-4
3. Gillooly/Depontes (UM) def Coggin/Fisher (GW) 8-2
GET YOUR OFFICIAL