Tennis Opens A-10 Tournament With 5-0 Win Over Dayton
April 18, 2013
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The third-seeded UMass women's tennis team cruised through the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Championship on Thursday afternoon with a 5-0 win over 14th-seeded Dayton at the Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville. The Minutewomen will now face the winner of the #6 George Washington/#11 Saint Joseph's match on Friday afternoon at 1 PM in the quarterfinals.
UMass started the match with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take an early 1-0 advantage over the Flyers. UMass earned the doubles point when Yuliana Motyl and Chantal Swiszcz won the No. 1 match 8-3 and Sonia Bokhari and Chanel Glasper claimed the No. 3 match 8-2.
In singles play, the Minutewomen won four of the six matches with the No. 2 and No. 4 singles matches left unfinished.
Arielle Griffin won her No. 3 singles match against Maureen Stevens (6-0, 6-1) followed by Sonia Bokhari's win at No. 1 singles putting UMass up 3-0. Chanel Glasper and Chantal Swiszcz won in straight sets at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively, to close out the scoring.
1. Sonia Bokhari (UM) def. Sammi Hornbarger (UD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Yuliana Motyl (UM) vs. Carley Peck (UD) 6-2, 0-2, UNF
3. Arielle Griffin (UM) def. Maureen Stevens (UD) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jessica Podlofsky (UM) vs. Katie Boeckman (UD) 6-4, 0-2, UNF
5. Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Claire McNulty (UD) 6-2, 6-2*
6. Chantal Swiszcz (UM) def. Erin Filbradt (UD) 6-1, 6-1*
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 6
*Final singles matches finished simultaneously
GET YOUR OFFICIAL