Tennis Defeats Xavier, 4-2
April 18, 2003
COLLEGE PARK, Md. --The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team defeated top-seeded Xavier, 4-2, on Friday in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament in College Park, Md. The victory advances the Minutewomen to the conference championship, where they will face the second seed, Temple, at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.
With no doubles matches being played, Massachusetts tallied all four of its points on wins in singles matches, posting victories at No. 2, No.3, No. 5 and No. 6. Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) defeated Xavier's Stephanie Bauer, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2 singles and Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) won a closely fought battle at No. 3 singles with Kristen Clary, 6-7 (6), 6-1, 6-0. At No. 5 singles Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) downed Emily Tuchsherer, 6-2, 6-3, while Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) won a tight match over Sarah Potts, 7-5, 6-1.
The victory advances the Minutewomen to the Atlantic 10 championship where they will be trying to earn their second title in three years. Massachusetts will take on Temple, who defeated Richmond in the semifinals on Friday. The championship match will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 19.
1. Lauren Clary (XU) def. Jafra Depontes (UM) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. Stephanie Price (UM) def. Stephanie Bauer (XU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Sasha Edelstein (UM) def. Kristen Clary (XU) 6-7 (6), 6-1, 6-0
4. Kate Weight man (XU) def. Camilla Knight (UM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) def. Emily Tuchscherer (XU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Susan Hyams (UM) def. Sarah Potts (XU) 7-5, 6-1