Tennis Falls To Quinnipiac, 4-3
April 15, 2003
HAMDEN, Conn. - The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team fell Quinnipiac, 4-3, on Monday afternoon to close out its regular season schedule. The loss drops UMass to 6-12 overall this spring as it prepares to head to the A-10 tournament on April 17-19.
Quinnipiac's Cristin Arahovites defeated sophomore Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 3 singles to break the 3-3 tie and give Quinnipiac the 4-3 victory. UMass was able to win two points in the singles competition, posting victories at No. 1 and No. 2 singles. At the top spot Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) downed Kim Piazza, 6-3, 6-1, and at No. 2 singles Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) edged past Danielle Rautenberg, 6-1, 3-6, 7-5.
The Minutewomen opened the match against Quinnipiac with a point, winning all three doubles matches. At No. 1 doubles Depontes and Price topped Arahovites and Tina Hoang, 8-3, while Edelstein and Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) defeated Piazza and Liz Axler, 8-6, and Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Camilla Knight (Devon, England) beat Rautenberg and Heather Rahm, 8-4.
Massachusetts will next compete at the Atlantic 10 tournament on April 17-19.
Quinnipiac 4, UMass 3
1. Stephanie Price (UM) def Kim Piazza (QU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Danielle Rautenberg (QU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
3. Cristin Arahovites (QU) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Heather Rahm (QU) def Camilla Knight (UM) 7-5, 6-4
5. Liz Axler (QU) def Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kat Ehle (QU) def Jana Bartoloni (UM) 7-6, 6-0
1. Price / Depontes (UM) def. Arahovites / Hoang (QU) 8-3
2. Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) def. Piazza / Axler (QU) 8-6
3. Hyams / Knight (UM) def. Rautenberg / Rahm (QU) 8-4