Women's Tennis Falls To Temple, 4-3
April 12, 2003
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team fell to Temple, 4-3, on Friday afternoon in Philadelphia, Pa. The loss drops UMass to 5-11 overall this spring and 2-1 in the Atlantic 10.
The Owls clinched the win with three victories in the doubles competition, earning Temple the point to go ahead 4-3 over the Minutewomen. Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) fell to Danira Penic and Ana Maslesa, 9-8, in a close match that had to go to a tie breaker at No. 1 doubles. UMass posted a win at No. 2 doubles when Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) and Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) defeated Mia Marovic and Lauren Verrall, 8-2, but the Minutewomen lost at No. 3 doubles when Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Camilla Knight (Devon, England) fell to Rene Deyzel and Laura Seiverling, 8-5.
The Minutewomen won three out of the six singles matches, posting victories at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles, to earn their three points in the match. Edelstein defeated Deyzel, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 4 spot while Iwanowicz downed Verrall, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 singles and Hyams defeated Seiverling, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
Massachusetts will take on another Atlantic 10 foe when they face George Washington on Saturday.
Temple 4, UMass 3
1. Danira Penic (T) def Jafra Depontes (UM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mia Marovic (T) def Stephanie Price (UM) 7-6, 6-2
3. Ana Maslesa (T) def Camilla Knight (UM) 6-1, 6-3
4. Sasha Edelstein (UM) def Rene Deyzel (T) 6-0, 6-0
5. Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) def Lauren Verrall (T) 6-2, 6-1
6. Susan Hyams (UM) def Laura Seiverling (T) 6-4, 6-2
1. Penic / Maslesa (T) def. Price / Depontes (UM) 9-8
2. Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) def. Marovic / Verrall(T) 8-2
3. Deyzel / Seiverling (T) def. Hyams / Knight (UM) 8-5
GET YOUR OFFICIAL