Women's Tennis Tops Rhode Island, 4-3
April 11, 2001
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team improved to 16-6 this season with a 4-3 victory over Rhode Island, this afternoon at the Upper Boyden Courts. The win was the sixth in a row for the Minutewomen, who now stand at 4-0 in Atlantic 10.
Junior Lindsey Gillooly (Stoughton, Mass.) won her eighth consecutive match by defeating the Rams' Heather Harris at No. 5 singles 6-0, 6-0. She is now 10-5 overall. Also picking up singles wins were freshman Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and junior Helena Horak (Westlake Village, Calif.).
UMass swept the doubles matches as the tandems of freshman Francesca Mancini (Milan, Italy) / junior Annie Hamilton (Plano, Texas), Horak / freshman Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Depontes / Gillooly were all victorious 8-2, 8-0, 8-2, respectively.
The Minutewomen will return to action tomorrow, April 12, when they host Williams at the Upper Boyden Courts. The match is set for 3:00 p.m.
UMass 4 URI 3
1. Marla Pasquale (URI) def Francesca Mancini (UM) 6-3, 7-6
2. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Ally Erasmous (URI) 7-5, 6-2
3. Cyndi Taylor (URI) def Annie Hamilton (UM) 6-2, 7-5
4. Helena Horak (UM) def Jess Collins (URI) 6-0, 6-1
5. Lindsey Gillooly (UM) def Heather Harris (URI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Danielle Kapner (URI) def Caroline Larson (UM) 6-0, 6-4
1. Mancini/Hamilton (UM) def Pasquale/Taylor (URI) 8-2
2. Horak/Hyams (UM) def Erasmous/Collins (URI) 8-0
3. Depontes/Gillooly (UM) def Harris/Kapner (URI) 8-2
GET YOUR OFFICIAL