Tennis Falls To Boston College, 7-0
April 10, 2003
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team fell to Boston College 7-0 on Wednesday afternoon in an indoor match. UMass, who falls to 5-10 overall in the spring, will return to conference play on Friday when they travel to Temple.
The Eagles clinched the doubles point against the Minutewomen with close victories in all three matches. Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) and Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) fell to Nida Waseem and Ali Ashley, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles while Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) and Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) fell to Szilvia Szegedi and Anisha Fernando, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles. Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Camilla Knight (Devon, England) lost a closely contested match at No. 3 doubles, falling to Jessica Engel and Emily Yeomans, 9-7.
Boston College swept all six of the singles matches against UMass, although Hyams battled Yeomans at No. 6 singles. Hyams won the first set, 6-2, before dropping the final two sets, 6-2, 6-2.
UMass will return to Atlantic 10 action this weekend when they take on Temple on Friday and George Washington on Saturday.
Boston College 7, UMass 0
1. Szilvia Szegedi (BC) def Jafra Depontes (UM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Nida Waseem (BC) def Stephanie Price (UM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ali Ashley (BC) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 6-4, 6-3
4. Morgan Landes (BC) def Camilla Knight (UM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Amy Molden (BC) def Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Emily Yeomans (BC) def Susan Hyams (UM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Waseem / Ashley (BC) def. Price / Depontes (UM) 8-5
2. Szegedi / Fernando (BC) def. Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) 8-5
3. Engel / Yeomans (BC) def. Hyams / Knight (UM) 9-7
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|