Temple Defeats Tennis In The Quarterfinals, 4-0
April 9, 2011
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - In a tough match, #7 UMass (13-8) fell to the #2 Temple Owls (16-6) in the Atlantic 10 Championship Quarterfinals, 4-0, at the Boar's Head Inn in Charlottesville, Va. UMass will continue playing in the loser's bracket against the loser of the #3 Saint Louis/#Duquesne match.
The match began with entertaining doubles, with both squads not wanting to give up the first point of the match. Temple's Teresa Stangl/Christine took the number two doubles from UMass in decisive fashion, 8-2. But the number one and three matches would be as close as anyone could ask for. The number three doubles wouldn't finish as the number one doubles that contain Temple's Elyse Steiner/Lucie Pazderova defeated Yuliana Motyl/Chantal Swizcz in extras, 9-7, for the match's first point going to Temple.
Then came singles with which the number one, three and four matches wouldn't finish because they would have to be ended in three sets. As for the number two, five, and six matches, Temple's Elyse Steiner, Lucie Pazderova, and Jordan Batey were able to take each match from Julia Comas, Chantal Swiszcz, and Kaitlyn Carpenter in straight sets.
UMass now awaits the loser of the #3 Saint Louis/#6 Duquesne match and will be played at 3:30 on Saturday, April 9 at the Boar's Head Inn in Charlottesville, Va.
#2 TEMPLE 4, #7 MASSACHUSETTS 0
1. Elyse Steiner/Lucie Pazderova (TU) def. Yulian Motyl/Chantal Swiszcz (UM), 9-7
2. Theresa Stangl/Christine Clermont (TU) def. Candynce Boney/Tanisha Hodgson (UM), 8-2
3. Jessica Podlofsky/Kaitlyn Carpenter (UM) vs. Yana Mavrina/Alicia Doms (TU), 7-7 DNF
ORDER OF FINISH: 2, 1
1. Theresa Stangl (TU) vs. Yuliana Motyl (UM), 7-6 (4), 4-4 DNF
2. Elyse Steiner (TU) def. Julia Comas (UM), 7-5, 6-2
3. Yana Mavrina (TU) vs. Candynce Boney (UM), 6-1, 3-6, DNF
4. Alicia Doms (TU) vs. Jessica Podlofsky (UM) 6-4, 2-6, 2-1
5. Lucie Pazderova (TU) def. Chantal Swiszcz (UM), 6-3, 6-1
6. Jordan Batey (TU) def. Kaitlyn Carpenter (UM), 6-1, 6-3
ORDER OF FINISH: 5, 6, 2