Women's Tennis Rolls To Sixth-Straight Victory With 6-1 Win Over Quinnipiac
April 8, 2005
HAMDEN, Conn. - The University of Massachusetts (13-6) downed Quinnipiac (7-8), 6-1, in women's tennis action this afternoon. Sophomore Michele Spiess (Stuttgart, Germany) paved the way with a win at No. 1 singles and No. 2 doubles. The Minutewomen get right back on the court tomorrow with a home match against Boston University at 1:00 PM on the Upper Boyden Courts.
The Minutewomen won the doubles point on the shoulders of juniors Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) and Susan Johnson (Arnold, Md.), who took down their opponent 8-5 at No. 1. Spiess teamed with freshman Masha Pozar (Ljublijana, Slovenia) to take the No. 2 match, 8-2.
In singles play, Spiess defeated her opponent at No. 1 by scores of 6-2 and 6-1 to improve her overall record to 16-3. Pozar won in the No. 2 slot, 6-1, 6-2, while senior Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) won at No. 3, 6-0, 6-2. Iwanowicz took her No. 4 match 6-3, 6-3, while junior Jana Bartoloni (Quincy, Mass.) handled her opponent at No. 6, 6-1, 6-0.
The Minutewomen are back in action tomorrow when they host Boston University at 1:00 PM at the Upper Boyden Courts.
1. Spiess def. Gabby Pasternak, 6-2, 6-1.
2. Pozar def. Tina Hoang, 6-1, 6-2.
3. Edelstein def. Amanda Petruzzi, 6-0, 6-2.
4. Iwanowicz def. Liz Axler, 6-3, 6-3.
5. Katherine Ehle def.Johnson, 3-6, 6-2, 11-9.
6. Bartolini def. Danielle Rodriguez, 6-1, 6-0.
1. Iwanowicz and Johnson def. Pasternak and Hoang, 8-5.
2. Spiess and Pozar def. Axler and Ehle, 8-2.
3. Rodriguez and Amy Sarrazin def. Edelstein and Bartolini, 9-8 (4).