Tennis Tops Fordham, 5-1
April 7, 2003
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team topped Fordham, 5-1, on Sunday in a match that had to be moved indoors after last weekend's ice storm in Amherst, Mass. The win lifted UMass to 5-9 overall in the spring and 2-0 in the Atlantic 10.
The Minutewomen earned their five points from winning matches at No. 2 through No. 6 singles. Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) defeated Fordham's Christina Papa in a close 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles. Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles, while Camilla Knight (Devon, England) and Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) both posted 6-3, 6-3 wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) dropped only one game in her 6-1, 6-0 victory over Danielle Spigner at No. 6 singles.
Both teams agreed not to play the three doubles matches, giving Massachusetts a 5-1 conference victory.
UMass will next compete on April 9 when they travel to Boston College for a 2:00 p.m. match.
UMass 5, Fordham 1
1. Xer Li Woo (F) def Stephanie Price (UM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Christina Papa (F) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Sasha Edelstein (UM) def Morgan Brinley (F) 6-2, 6-1
4. Camilla Knight (UM) def Alexandra Cazangiu (F) 6-3, 6-3
5. Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) def Christina Leavenworth (F) 6-3, 6-3
6. Susan Hyams (UM) def Danielle Spigner (F) 6-1, 6-0
GET YOUR OFFICIAL