Tennis Handles Fordham For Second-Straight Sweep
April 6, 2005
AMHERST, Mass. -- The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team (12-6, 4-0 A-10) took every set from its opponent for the second-straight outing as the Minutewomen defeated Fordham (10-5), 7-0, this afternoon in Atlantic 10 action at the Upper Boyden Courts.
Sophomore Michele Spiess (Stuttgart, Germany) continued her winning ways as she won at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-0. Freshman Masha Pozar (Ljublijana, Slovenia) handily defeated her opponent at No. 2, winning 6-2, 6-1. Senior Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) also won her match at No. 3 singles by scores of 6-1 and 6-4. Juniors Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.), Susan Johnson (Arnold, Md.), and Jana Bartoloni (Charlestown, Mass.) each won their singles matches as well, at No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 play, respectively.
In doubles action, Iwanowicz and Johnson took down their opponent at No. 1, winning 8-2. Spiess and Pozar also won 8-2 in the No. 2 slot, while Bartoloni and Edelstein won 8-1 at No. 3.
The Minutewomen are back in action on Friday, April 8 when they travel to Hamden, Conn. to face Quinnipiac. Their next home match is slated for Saturday, April 9, when they host Boston University at 1:00 PM at the Upper Boyden Courts.
1. Spiess def. Ellenoira Featherston, 6-4, 6-0.
2. Pozar def. Christina Papa, 6-2, 6-1.
3. Edelstein def. Doina Sandor, 6-1, 6-4.
4. Iwanowicz def. Lisa Vulin, 6-4, 6-4.
5. Johnson def. Danielle Spigner, 6-3, 6-0.
6. Bartoloni def. Elizabeth Murray, 6-1, 6-3.
1. Johnson and Iwanowicz def. Featherston and Papa, 8-2.
2. Pozar and Spiess def. Sandor and Vulin, 8-2.
3. Bartoloni and Edelstein def. Murray and Spigner, 2-1.