Tennis Tops Rhode Island, 7-0
April 2, 2003
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts women's tennis team topped Rhode Island, 7-0, on Wednesday at the Upper Boyden Tennis Courts. The win lifted UMass to 4-9 in the spring portion of its schedule and gave the team its first Atlantic 10 victory of the season for a 1-0 conference record.
The Minutewomen won all three of the doubles matches to earn the point. Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) defeated Cynthia Taylor and Erin Dwyer, 8-1, at the No. 1 spot. Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) and Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) earned an 8-2 victory at No. 2 doubles and Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Camilla Knight (Devon, England) swept Becca Hedden and Bridgette Laflamme, 8-0.
In singles play Edelstein won with ease over Taylor, dropped only one game to post a 6-0, 6-1 win. Price was able to defeat URI's Erin Fleming 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2 singles and Depontes cliched a 6-0, 6-2 victory at the No. 3 spot. The Minutewomen were able to sweep their matches at No. 4 and No. 5 singles when Iwanowicz and Hyams each posted 6-0, 6-0 victories. Jana Bartoloni (Charlestown, Mass.) completed UMass' 7-0 win when she defeated Hedden, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6 singles.
The Minutewomen will remain at home for two matches this weekend, taking on BU on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. and Fordham on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. at the Upper Boyden Tennis Courts.
UMass 7, Rhode Island 0
1. Sasha Edelstein (UM) def Cynthia Taylor (URI) 6-0, 6-1
2. Stephanie Price (UM) def Erin Fleming (URI) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Jess Collins (URI) 6-0, 6-1
4. Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) def Erin Dwyer (URI) 6-0, 6-0
5. Susan Hyams (UM) def Lindsay Taylor (URI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jana Bartoloni (UM) def Becca Hedden (URI) 6-3, 6-1
1. Depontes / Price (UM) def Taylor / Dwyer (URI) 8-1
2. Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) def Fleming / Collins (URI) 8-2
3. Hyams / Knight (UM) def Hedden / Laflamme (URI) 8-0