Tennis Sneaks By Richmond, 4-3
March 25, 2005
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The University of Massachusetts (10-6, 2-0 A-10) downed the University of Richmond (6-7, 0-1 A-10), 4-3, this afternoon in Atlantic 10 women's tennis action. The Minutewomen took a 4-3 decision for the second consecutive day as sophomore Michele Spiess (Stuttgart, Germany) took a pair of victories at No. 2 singles and doubles.
In the singles competition, the two teams split six matches. Spiess notched her win at No. 2 singles in dramatic fashion. She won by scores of 7-6 (8-6), 6-7 (5-7), 6-1 in a match against Robin Carter that lasted four hours. Junior Dorothy Iwanowicz (Hilton Head, S.C.) also edged out a win in the No. 4 slot, winning 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5). The last win in singles play came when freshman Kristin DiPiero (Huntingdon Valley, Pa.) won at No. 6 singles by default, as her opponent was injured.
The doubles point proved to be the deciding factor in the second straight contest. The team of Spiess and freshman Masha Pozar (Ljublijana, Slovenia) won at the No. 2 slot, 8-6 and another default allowed the pair of senior Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) and junior Jana Bartoloni (Quincy, Mass.) to record a victory at the No. 3 spot.
The Minutewomen are now 2-0 in conference play and return home on Wednesday, March 30 to take on Rhode Island at the Upper Boyden Courts at 3:00 PM.
1. Lindsay Cox and Meghan Wolfgram def. Iwanowicz and Johnson, 8-2.
2. Spiess and Pozar def. Robin Carter and Courtney Klein, 8-6.
3. Edelstein and Bartoloni won by default.
1. Cox def. Pozar, 6-3, 6-0.
2. Spiess def. Carter, 7-6 (8-6), 6-7 (5-7), 6-1.
3. Klein def. Edelstein, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.
4. Iwanowicz def. Wolfgram, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Jelena Zivanovic def. Bartoloni, 7-5, 6-3.
6. DiPiero won by default.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|