Tennis Falls To Lynn University, 7-2
March 13, 2005
BOCA RATON, Fla. - The University of Massachusetts (6-5) dropped a 7-2 decision to Lynn University (11-1) this afternoon in Florida. Sophomore Michele Spiess (Stuttgart, Germany) won at No. 1 singles to improve her record to 15-3 on the season.
Freshman Masha Pozar (Ljublijana, Slovenia) provided the other point for the Minutewomen, winning her No. 2 singles match, 6-3, 6-2. Senior Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) was edged at No. 3 singles, losing 6-1, 2-6, 10-7.
The Fighting Knights, ranked No. 4 in Division II, remained undefeated in doubles play with a sweep over UMass, which gave Lynn an early 3-0 advantage. The Minutewomen fought back with the first two singles victories, but the Fighting Knights were too much and ran away with their eighth consecvutive win.
The Minutewomen return to action in Boca Raton tomorrow when they face Tennessee-Chattanooga at 10:00 AM.
2. Dragana Ilic/Victoria Weltz def. Michele Spiess/Masha Pozar, 8-5.
3. Marie Maussion/Dina Bajramovic def. Jana Bartoloni/Sasha Edelstein, 8-4.
2. Masha Pozar def. Victoria Weltz, 6-3, 6-2.
3. Andrea Kostricova def. Sasha Edelstein, 6-1, 2-6, 10-7.
4. Dina Bajramovic def. Dorothy Iwanowicz, 6-1, 6-0.
5. Dragana Ilic def. Susan Johnson, 6-4, 6-3.
6. Marie Maussion def. Kristin DiPiero, 6-0, 6-0.