Tennis Team Falls To Cornell
March 10, 2003
The University of Massachusetts tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision over non-conference rival Cornell on Sunday afternoon at the Reiss Tennis Center. The loss placed UMass 3-6 in the spring portion of its schedule.
The two singles points came from Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) at No. 1 and Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) at No. 6. Junior Sasha Edelstein(Haifa, Israel) was winning at No. 2 singles, but she wasn't able to pull out the victory, as she fell to Cornell's Laura Tallent 2-6, 6-3, 5-2(default). In doubles action, junior Jafra Depontes(Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and Price posted a 9-7 victory over Cornell's Akane Kokubo/Nicolle Chiu and freshmen Dorothy Iwanowicz(Hilton Head, S.C) and Edelstein won at No. 2 doubles.
The Minutewomen will next compete on March 17 when they travel to Florida.
UMass 3, Cornell 4
1. Stephanie Price(UM) def Akane Kokubo(C) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
2. Laura Tallent(C) def Sasha Edelstein(UM) 2-6, 6-3, 5-2(default)
3. Erika Takeuchi(C) def Jafra Depontes(UM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Nicolle Chui(C) def Dorothy Iwanowicz(UM) 6-3, 6-2
5. Pipev Lucas(C) def Camilla Knight(UM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Susan Hyams (UM) def Melissa Tu(C) 7-6(3), 6-1
1. Price/Depontes(UM) def Kokubo/Chiu(C) 9-7
2. Iwanowicz/Edelstein(UM) def Edinson/Wang(C) 8-4
3. Takeuchi/Tu (C) def Knight/ Hyams(UM) 8-6
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|