Women's Tennis Lost To UMBC
March 9, 2003
The University of Massachusetts lost to UMBC in women's collegiate tennis action, 4-3, Saturday at Cornell. The win placed UMass 3-5 in the spring portion of its schedule.
The Minutewomen had trouble in doubles play, dropping two of three matches. However, Junior Susan Hyams(Cincinnati, Ohio) and Camilla Knight(Devon, England) paired up to beat UMBC's Lim and Pushpanatham by a score of 8-3. Sophomore Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) posted a win at No. 1 singles against UMBC's Karaskova 6-3, 6-2 and Hyams captured the win at No. 5 singles 6-4, 6-3. Freshmen Jana Bartoloni(Charlestown, MA) lost her match at No. 6 singles 6-3, 6-2.
The Minutewomen will next compete Sunday, March 9, at Cornell.
UMass 3, UMBC 4 Singles:
1. Stephanie Price(UM) def Jana Karaskova(UMBC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Sasha Edelstein(UM) def Anita Pushpanathan 7-5, 6-3
3. Tia Kaasalainen(UMBC) def Dorothy Iwanowicz(UM) 6-1, 6-2
4. def Camilla Knight(UM) 6-7 (4) 6-3, 6-3
5. Susan Hyams(UM) def Lana Khvalina(UMBC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Aimee Lim(UMBC) def Jana Bartoloni(UM) 6-3, 6-2
(UMBC) def Depontes/Price(UM) 8-6
(UMBC) def Edelstein/Iwanowicz(UM) 8-6
3. Hyams/Knight(UM) def Lim/Pushpanatham 8-3