Tennis Beats Binghamton 6-1
March 9, 2003
ITHACA, N.Y. - The University of Massachusetts defeated SUNY-Binghamton in women's collegiate tennis action, 6-1, Saturday at Cornell. The win placed UMass 3-4 in the spring portion of its schedule.
The Minutewomen captured both singles and doubles victories comfortably. Junior Susan Hyams(Cincinnati, Ohio) dominated doubles and singles action. She beat Jenilee Brohm of Binghamton 6-2, 6-2. She then paired up with doubles partner Camilla Knight (Devon, England) to secure the win at No. 3 doubles, 8-0. Sophomore Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) continued her winning streak, but stepped up to play at No. 1 singles. She won 6-3, 6-3 against Binghamton's Justina Hakimi. Junior Jafra Depontes(Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and Price earned the Minutewomen a point at No. 1 doubles.
Dorothy Iwanowicz(Hilton Head, S.C.) defeated Brill 6-2, 6-4, while Camilla Knight posted a 7-6(2), 7-6(2) victory at No. 5 singles.
The Minutewomen will next compete 4:00 this afternoon against UMBC at Cornell
UMass 6, Binghamton 1
1. Stephanie Price(UM) def Justina Hakimi(B) 6-3, 6-3
2. Sasha Edelstein(UM) def Janine Sadaka (B) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jafra Depones(UM) vs. Amy Weissberg (B) DNF
4. Dorothy Iwanowicz(UM) def Alexis Brill (B) 6-2, 6-4
5. Camilla Knight(UM) def Amy Linda(B) 7-6, 7-6
6. Susan Hyams (UM) def Jenilee Brohm(B) 6-2, 6-2
1. Depontes / Price(UM) def Brill/Hakimi(B) 8-4
2. Edelstein/Iwanowicz(UM) def Weissberg/Sadaka(B) 8-3
3. Hyams/Knight(UM) def Linda/Brohn(B) 8-0