Minutewomen Beat Colgate In Tennis Action
March 3, 2003
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts defeated Colgate in women's collegiate tennis action, 4-3, Sunday at the Bay Road Tennis Center. The win placed UMass 3-5 overall, and 2-4 in the spring portion of its schedule.
Sophomore Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) secured a win at No. 2 singles posting a 6-2, 6-1 victory. At No. 3 singles junior Jafra Depontes(Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) posted a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Colgate's Jamie Maldow. At No. 6 singles Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) secured the win for the Minutewomen with a 6-4, 6-2 decision over Lindsey Suffredini. In a tight match Sasha Edelstein(Haifa, Israel) fell at No. 1 singles 7-5, 7-6 (3) to Colgate's Alikapala.
The doubles duo of Price and Depontes posted a win at No. 2 doubles, 8-3, for the team's only double win.
The Minutewomen will next compete on March 8 when they take on Binghamton at Cornell.
UMass 4, Colgate 3
1. Marissa Alikapala (C) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 7-5, 7-6
2. Stephanie Price (UM) def Lauren Erikson(C) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Jamie Maldow(C) 6-3, 6-1
4. Dorothy Iwanowicz(UM) def Sheila Rao(C) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jessica Fede(C) def Jana Bartoloni(UM) 6-3, 6-2
6. Susan Hyams (UM) def Lindsey Suffredini(C) 6-3, 6-2
1. Erikson/Rao(C) def Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) 8-3
2. Depontes / Price (UM) def Wenink/Alikapala (C) 8-3
3. Suffredini/Maldow (C) def Knight/ Hyams(UM) 8-4