Tennis Falls To Columbia, 5-2
March 2, 2003
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts fell to Columbia in women's collegiate tennis action, 5-2, Saturday at the Bay Road Tennis Center. The loss dropped UMass to 2-5 overall, and 1-4 in the spring portion of its schedule.
The Minutewomen tallied their two points from winning two out of the three doubles matches and with a victory at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Stephanie Price (Columbia, Md.) defeated Columbia's Miriam Rahali, 6-2, 7-5, to earn a point for UMass.
Massachusetts recorded its other point of the match when it won two out of the three doubles matches. The team of junior Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and Price defeated Molly Condit and Rahali, 8-0, at No. 2 doubles. UMass also earned a victory at No. 3 doubles when junior captain Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) and freshman Camilla Knight (Devon, England) defeated Eunice Chao and Lucia Aniello, 8-6.
The Minutewomen will next compete on Sunday when they host Colgate at noon at the Bay Road Tennis Center.
Columbia 5, UMass 2
1. Molly Condit (Columbia) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 6-4, 7-5
2. Stephanie Price (UM) def Miriam Rahali (Columbia) 6-2, 7-5
3. Shelly Mittal (Columbia) def Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Leena Krishnaswamy (Columbia) def Jana Bartoloni (UM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Iana Dimkova (Columbia) def Susan Hyams (UM) 6-2, 7-6
6. Lucia Aniello (Columbia) def Camilla Knight (UM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Mittal / Aniello (Columbia) def Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Depontes / Price (UM) def Condit / Rahali (Columbia) 8-0
3. Knight / Hyams (UM) def Chao / Dimkova (Columbia) 8-6
GET YOUR OFFICIAL