Tennis Tops Dartmouth 5-2
Feb. 28, 2003
Hanover, N.H. - The University of Massachusetts defeated Dartmouth in women's collegiate tennis action, 5-2, Thursday in Hanover, N.H. The win placed UMass 2-4 overall, and 1-3 in the spring portion of its schedule.
Sophomore Stephanie Price (Columbia, Mo.) swept through her match finishing 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. In No. 5 singles Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) came back after her second set and won in a tiebreaker, 10-6 against Dartmouth's Kelsey Surbaugh.
The doubles teams played solid, clinching it's doubles point from three victories. Sasha Edelstein(Haifa, Israel) and Dorothy Iwanowicz ( Hilton Head, S.C.) won 8-3, along with the two other teams of Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii/ Price and Camilla Knight (Devon, England)/ Hyams.
The Minutewomen will next compete on March 1 when they host Columbia at 1:00 p.m. at the Bay Road Tennis Center.
UMass 5, Dartmouth 2
1. Jayme Ahmed (D) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Stephanie Price (UM) def Catherine Crandall (D) 6-1, 6-2
3. Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) def Arden FredeKing 6-1, 7-5
4. Ann Scott (D) def Jafra Depontes (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 2-1 (dnf)
5. Susan Hyams (UM) def Kelsey Surbaugh (D) 6-4, 2-6, 10-6 (TB)
6. Camilla Knight (UM) def Katie Jayheimer (D) 6-4, 6-2
7. Stephanie Mathews (D) def Jana Bartoloni (UM) 8-1
1. Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) def Ahmed/ FredeKing(D) 8-3
2. Depontes / Price (UM) def Crandall/ Jaxheimer(D) 8-3
3. Knight / Hyams (UM) def Scott/ Francazio (D) 8-3
GET YOUR OFFICIAL