Women's Tennis Falls To Brown
Feb. 23, 2003
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The University of Massachusetts fell to Brown in women's collegiate tennis action, 7-0, Saturday in Providence, R.I. The loss dropped UMass to 1-4 overall, and 0-3 in the spring portion of its schedule.
The Minutewomen were able to win one match against Brown when sophomore Stephanie Price (Columbia, Md.) and junior captain Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) defeated Caroline Casey and Rachel Williams, 8-2, at No. 3 doubles. Brown posted victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to clinch the point.
At No. 1 singles sophomore Sasha Edelstein (Haifa, Israel) fell to Brown's Yelena Klurfeld 6-2, 6-3, and Price pushed Kerry Meath in the first set of their No. 2 singles match before falling 6-4, 6-2.
Massachusetts will next compete against Dartmouth on Thursday, Feb. 27 in Hanover, N.H.
Brown 7, UMass 0
1. Yelena Klurfeld (Brown) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kerry Meath (Brown) def Stephanie Price (UM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Stephanie Falconi (Brown) def Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Alex Arlak (Brown) def Camilla Knight (UM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kim Singer (Brown) def Susan Hyams (UM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Bridget Barbera (Brown) def Jana Bartoloni (UM) 6-4, 6-2
1. Arlak / Meath (Brown) def Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) 8-5
2. Singer / Lee (Brown) def Knight / Bartoloni (UM) 8-5
3. Price / Hyams (UM) def Casey / Williams (Brown) 8-5