Tennis Falls To Army, 4-3
Feb. 22, 2003
AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts fell to Army in women's collegiate tennis action, 4-3, Friday at the Bay Road Tennis Center. The loss dropped UMass to 1-3 overall, and 0-2 in the spring portion of its schedule.
The match was tied at 3-3 going into the final match of the game, which featured freshman Jana Bartoloni (Charlestown, Mass.) against Pam Chavez at No. 6 singles. Bartoloni dropped the first set 6-2, but came back to even the match at one set a piece with a 6-0 win in the second. Chavez clinched the match with a 6-4 win in the third set to give Army the 4-3 victory.
UMass tallied its three points with victories from junior Jafra Depontes (Kaliua-Kona, Hawaii) and junior Susan Hyams (Cincinnati, Ohio) in singles, and doubles wins from the teams of Depontes and Stephanie Price (Columbia, Md.) and Camilla Knight (Devon, England) and Hyams. Depontes, in her first match of the season after recovering from an injury, defeated Lauren Leftin in three sets at No. 4 singles. Hyams follwed Depontes' success with a win at No.5 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lyndsey Nott.
In doubles Depontes and Price defeated Marissa Limsiaco and Nott at No. 2 doubles, 8-5, and Knight and Hyams defeated Leftin and Chavez at No. 3 doubles, 8-5.
The Minutewomen will next compete on Saturday when they compete against Brown at 5:00 p.m. at Providence, R.I.
Army 4, UMass 3
1. Marissa Limsiaco (Army) def Stephanie Price (UM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Annie Collier (Army) def Sasha Edelstein (UM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Megan Noble (Army) def Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
4. Jafra Depontes (UM) def Lauren Leftin (Army) 1-6. 6-4. 6-
5. Susan Hyams (UM) def Lyndsey Nott (Army) 6-2, 6-2
6. Pam Chavez (Army) def Jana Bartoloni (UM) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
1. Collier / Noble (Army) def Edelstein / Iwanowicz (UM) 8-1
2. Depontes / Price (UM) def Limsiaco / Nott (Army) 8-5
3. Knight / Hyams (UM) def Leftin / Chavez (Army) 8-5
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|