• UMass plays host to A-10 newcomer George Mason in the final game of the regular-season.
NFCA Strike Out Cancer Games - Wear Pink
• It will also mark the Minutewomen's NFCA Strike Out Cancer Game where the program will honor to memory of former coach & legend Elaine Sortino, recognize cancer suvivors in attendance and help raise cancer awareness.
• Head men's soccer coach Sam Koch, who has been battling cancer for the past two years, will be throwing out the first pitch.
Fan Fest Promotions
• The games will unofficially serve as the annual UMass Softball Fan Fest, with a number of activities for fans in attendance.
• Sam the Minuteman will be in attendance
• Inflatable Hitting Station
• Inflatable Speed Pitch Station with a Radar Gun
• Inflatable Bungee Run Station
• Several in-game promotions and contests
UMass To Honor 1974 Softball Team
• UMass will recognize the 40th anniversary of the 1974 UMass softball team. That team was the final one before the program was granted varsity status. The 1974 group qualified for the 6th Annual Women's College World Series, sponsored by the A.S.A. and contested in Omaha, Neb. The team finished the year with a 6-5 record after a 1-2 mark in the WCWS.
• UMass (14-19-1, 8-5-1) is 8-0-1 at home this season and plays host to A-10 newcomer George Mason in the final game of the regular-season. The Minutewomen are hitting .276 on the year to rank third in the A-10 (.297 in A-10 games is 2nd). UMass has 27 home runs, 38 doubles and seven triples. The team is second in the league with 17 double plays turned.
• Junior Quianna Diaz-Patterson ranks seventh in the league with a .360 avg, tied for fourth with 3 triples and is sixth with a .450 on-base pct. Senior Lindsey Webster is fifth in the A-10 with a .466 OBP and third with eight times being hit by a pitch.
• Senior Tiffany Meeks (7 HR w/ 6 in A-10 play) and Bridget Lemire (6 HR w/ 5 in A-10 play) rank second and third, respectively, in A-10 games in home runs.
• Junior Caroline Raymond (9-10) ranks fifth in the A-10 with a 2.97 ERA. That mark is exactly 1.00 below last year's figure when she was in her first healthy year and first year as the No. 1 starter on the staff. She has 65 strikeouts in 115.1 innings pitched. She is 5-4 with a save in 11 league appearances (7 starts and 5 complete games).
Scouting George Mason
• GMU (21-20, 5-9) comes into the weekend having lost its last four games, dropping a pair to Dayton and Saint Louis at home last weekend. The Patriots are 7-9 in road games and just 1-5 in A-10 road contests.
• Tiffany Webb leads the Patriots with a .400 batting average on the season, which ranks second in all of the A-10. Brooke Blankenship has a team-best five home runs and 44 RBI on a .386 batting average. Julia Czarnecki also comes into this game on a hot streak; getting 23 hits in the Patriots last 15 games.
• Anna Blessing leads the pitching staff with a 2.41 era, which ranks second in the entire A-10 this season. Blessing also has 58 strikeouts and eight wins. Not only is Mason hitting well, but the pitching staff as a whole averages an A-10 best, 2.78 ERA.
Series With George Mason
• These will be the first-ever games between the schools in softball.
UMass Playing For Seeding; Mason Playing For A Tournament Berth
• UMass is currently in third place in the A-10 and can finish anywhere from second to fifth place depending on the outcomes of the 10 games Saturday. The most direct way the Minutewomen can secure the No. 2 seed and a first round bye is with a sweep of Mason and a loss by Saint Louis to La Salle. If UMass splits with Mason, they need La Salle to sweep SLU and have Saint Joseph's lose at least one to St. Bonaventure.
• The Patriots have to sweep UMass in order to make the A-10 Tournament and have Fordham sweep Dayton. Fordham locked up the No. 1 seed last week and is 13-1 on the year. The lone loss came against Mason on April 5 in the Bronx.
A-10 Softball Championship
• The Atlantic 10 Softball Championship will be held at Bahoshy Field in Bronx, N.Y. Fordham will host the event May 7-10.