• Two days after defeating UConn 7-6, the Massachusetts softball team will play host to Hartford on Thursday afternoon at 4 p.m.
• Live video and stats of every UMass home game are available online at UMassAthletics.com. Additionally, live stats and a live audio broadcast are available for every road game, including the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship.
• UMass (13-17, 8-2) comes into the contest on a season-best six-game win streak, while claiming 11 of its last 12 overall and seven of eight at home.
• The Minutewomen are hitting .228 on the year. They have increased their team batting average in 12 of the last 13 games. During that period, UMass has put up a .384 average with a .457 on-base percentage. Seven starters have over a .333 avg. at the plate as well. UM has posted double-digit hit totals in nine of those games with a season-best four-consecutive prior to the 5-hit outing on Tuesday.
• Hartford (14-22, 4-5 America East) will come to Amherst following a Wednesday doubleheader at Fairfield. The Hawks .223 as a team with Erica Phelps leading the way at .292.
Series With Hartford
• UMass and Hartford are scheduled to meet for the first time since 1998 - a span of 15 seasons. UMass has totaled 12 shutouts and holds a 21-1-1 record over the Hawks. Last season’s game was canceled due to rain.
Streaking Right Along
• With UMass' strong play over the past month, a number of Minutewomen have collected some impressive hitting streaks and reaching base. Entering the Hartford game, Tiffany Meeks has career-best 12-game hitting streaks, followed by Quianna Diaz-Patterson at 12. Cyndil Matthew saw her 12-game streak come to an end on Tuesday, while Christine Della Vecchia's ended at eight. Diaz-Patterson has reached base in 14-straight outings.
• UMass has averaged 6.3 runners left on over the course of the season. That number has risen in the past 12 games to 7.8 per contest. The Minutewomen left 11 on-base twice last week, tying their season high set earlier at Dayton and vs. Western Michigan. UMass is hitting .317 this year with runners on base and .291 with runners in scoring position. In A10 play, those averages are .430 and .385.
UMass Record Book Update
• A quick check of the Massachusetts Softball Record Book shows a number of Minutewomen are making their way up the charts in various categories.
• Senior Katie Bettencourt hit her 19th career home run on Tueday against UConn to move into 10th place all-time. She has also been hit by a pitch 11 times for tied for eighth. Junior Lindsey Webster is also on HBP the list, placing third after being plunked 18 times, including once on Tuesday.
• Senior Cyndil Matthew's 82 career steals put her third all-time at UMass. Next on the list is Candice Molinari, who swiped 98 from 2004-07. Both her .362 career batting average and .434 on-base percentage would be fourth. Her 116 runs scored are 11th and her eight triples are tied for 18th.
• Massachusetts was picked to win the 2013 Atlantic 10 Conference title in a vote of the league's 12 head coaches during the preseason polls. Fordham was chosen second, George Washington - last year's tourney runner-up - took the third spot, followed by Saint Joseph's (fourth), Temple (fifth), Charlotte (sixth), Butler (seventh), Saint Louis (eighth), Dayton (ninth), St. Bonaventure (10th), Rhode Island (11th) and La Salle (12th).
• For the ninth time in school history, UMass will play host to the Atlantic 10 Championship Tournament, May 8-11 at Sortino Field. The format features six teams in a double-elimination bracket, with the first and second-place teams based on regular-season winning pct. receiving day one byes.
• Tickets will cost between $3-$8 per day or you can grab a 4-day tournament pass for $12 (youth) or $24 (adult). Students of Atlantic 10 Conference schools are free to all games with a valid ID.