March 26, 2012
Softball Opens Homestand With Dartmouth On Tuesday, Quinnipiac Wednesday
AMHERST, Mass. - The UMass softball team (13-10, 2-0 A-10) returns to Amherst for its first home games of the 2012 season this week. The Minutewomen will face Dartmouth on Tuesday at 3 p.m. and Quinnipiac on Wednesday at 3 p.m. Dayton flies in to the UMass Softball Complex this weekend for a Friday contest at 3 p.m. and Saturday at Noon. This week opens a stretch where UMass will play seven games in 10 days with six of those at home.
Live video of all four home games will be available on UMassAthletics.com through the UMass All-Access page. Just click on the watch link on the specified game on the softball schedule. Free live stats will also be available at UMassAthletics.com by clicking on the GameTracker links.
- Dartmouth heads to Western Mass. with a 7-8 record after dropping both games of a doubleheader at Boston College last weekend. The Big Green are looking to snap a three-game losing streak which was preceded by a three-game winning streak.
- UMass and Dartmouth only have one common opponent and that is Florida Gulf Coast. The Minutewomen claimed a 2-1 win over the Eagles and the Big Green fell 4-2.
Series With Dartmouth
- UMass holds a 10-0-1 all-time record against Dartmouth with all 11 games being played in Amherst. The teams have played every season since 2005 except in 2010.
- The Minutewomen have recorded seven shutouts with a pair of no-hitters - Brandice Balschmiter in 2006 and Sara Plourde a year ago - over the Big Green.
- In last season’s matchup, Sara Plourde struck out 16 batters and recorded the seventh no-hitter of her career in a 1-0 game-one victory, while Caroline Raymond was perfect in the circle through five innings in game two and benefited from a three-run home run by Lindsey Webster and a 4-for-4 effort by Audrey Boutin in a 6-2 victory to give UMass a sweep in the 2011 home opener.
Series With Quinnipiac
- UMass is 6-0 all-time against the Bobcats, having won five of games by shutout.
- UMass has recorded three no-hitters against Quinnipiac, including in the most recent game in 2010 by Sara Plourde.
Plourde Selected Ninth In National Pro Fastpitch Draft
- UMass senior Sara Plourde was selected ninth overall by the Carolina Diamonds in the 2012 National Pro Fastpitch Draft on March 8.
- National Pro Fastpitch is headquartered in Hermitage, Tenn. The league, created to give elite female fastpitch players the opportunity to pursue a professional career in their chosen sport, has operated since 1997 under the names Women’s Pro Fastpitch (WPF) and Women’s Pro Softball League (WPSL).
- Due to NCAA regulations, an active college senior-athlete is not eligible to sign with their respective franchise until her 2012 season is completed.
Matthew Near The Top Of Atlantic 10 Rankings
- UMass junior OF Cyndil Matthew has been on a tear this season. She leads the A-10 in runs (22), ranks second in batting avg. (.408) and on-base pct. (.481), third in hits (29) and fourth in steals (15).
- She also leads the team with eight multi-hit games and has collected a career-high four hits against Maryland (3/2) and Chattanooga (3/17) this season.
UMass Strong At Home
- UMass has compiled a 204-22-1 (.901) all-time record at the UMass Softball Complex. Included in that is a robust 106-7 (.938) mark in Atlantic 10 regular-season play.
- The Minutewomen have belted 173 home runs in the facility for an average of 0.76 per game.
- UMass went 14-3 at home a year ago.