Vs. Towson & James Madison
- This weekend will mark the first meetings in program history for UMass vs. Towson and James Madison, though head coach Ed Matz faced both CAA foes during his tenure at Northeastern.
- UMass is 4-4-2 all-time against teams currently in the Colonial Athletic Association, most recently defeating Northeastern last season, 2-1, in overtime on Rudd Field.
- UMass returns 17 members of last year's squad that reached the Atlantic 10 semifinal, including seven starters.
- Three of the seven returning starters drew starts in all 20 matches last season--forward Megan Burke, midfielder/defender Julia Weithofer and goalkeeper Danielle Kriscenski.
- Weithofer was an Atlantic 10 All-Rookie selection last season as a freshman and saw nearly 1,700 minutes of action.
- Burke is UMass' leading returning scorer, pocketing nine points in 2013 on three goals and three assists, including one game winner. - As a redshirt freshman in 2013, Kriscenski played every minute of all 20 matches and logged five shutouts, 92 saves and a goals-against average of 1.11. Her 92 saves tied her for 10th most for a single season in program history.
- UMass has added six newcomers for the 2014 season. The freshman class features four forwards, two midfielders and a goalkeeper and is comprised of three players from Massachusetts and one each from Maryland, Nevada, Virginia.
- Goalkeeper Cassidy Babin was a two-time MACS All-State First Team selection at Archbishop Spalding out of Ellicott City, Md.
"Ice" Earns Preseason Accolade
- Junior co-captain Rebekka Sverrisdóttir ("Ice") was named to the Preseason All-Atlantic 10 team earlier this month. The Reykjavik, Iceland native appeared in 16 games in 2013 and contributed three points on a goal and an assist. A 2013 Atlantic 10 All-Tournament team selection, Sverrisdóttir helped the UMass defense limit opponents to one goal or less in 12 of 16 matches she appeared in last fall, including four shutouts. This past spring, she was named a team co-captain for 2014 alongside classmate Jackie Bruno.
- UMass was picked fifth in the Atlantic 10 preseason poll, as voted on by the league's head coaches. With 130 points, the Minutewomen trailed only preseason-favorite Dayton (189 points, eight first-place votes), La Salle (187, 6), VCU (143) and Saint Louis (138).
The Matz Era At UMass
- UMass is 38-35-67(.519) over head coach Ed Matz's four seasons, including a record of 18-13-4 (.571) in Atlantic 10 matches, a trip to the A-10 final in 2011, a semfinal appearance in 2013 and four consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship berths. - Under his direction, UMass players have earned 12 All-Atlantic 10 honors, six all-region accolades and four All-New England selections. - Matz is 137-126-32 (.519) all-time as a women's head coach, with an overall record (men & women) of 220-200-48 (.521).
- The Minutewomen will travel to Bryant on Thursday, Aug. 28, before making their home debut on Sunday, Aug. 31, when the squad plays host to Providence at 1 p.m. on Rudd Field.