Women's Lacrosse

Women's Lacrosse Opens Season With Win Over Holy Cross, 14-11

Freshman Kathleen Typadis scored three goals in her collegiate debut on Saturday. (Photo by Karen Winger)

Freshman Kathleen Typadis scored three goals in her collegiate debut on Saturday. (Photo by Karen Winger)

Feb. 26, 2005

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

AMHERST, Mass. - On the strength of four goals by junior midfielder Kerri Connerty (Nashua, N.H.), the Massachusetts women's lacrosse team opened its season with a 14-11 win over in-state rival Holy Cross on Saturday at Garber Field.

The Minutewomen fell behind early in the game as Patricia Sutton scored three consecutive goals in the first six minutes of action. Sutton finished the contest with six goals on eight shots. After Holy Cross' Eileen Hartigan made the score 4-0 in the 20th minute, the Minutewomen scored four straight goals to tie the game. UMass scored three goals, two in the final 15 seconds, to take a 7-5 lead into halftime - a lead they did not relinquish.

In the second half, the Minutewomen scored the first three goals of the period as freshman Kristina Twichell (Fayetteville, N.Y.), Connerty, and freshman Kathleen Typadis (Medfield, Mass.) scored to give UMass a 10-5 advantage.

Dee Dee Banel finally answered for the Crusaders at the 41:04 mark of play to pull Holy Cross within four, 10-6.

The Minutewomen again fired off a trio of goals to go up 13-6 as freshman Melynda Zwick (Holland, Pa.) scored her second goal of the game, sophomore Shelley Boyle (Annapolis, Md.) added her second, and junior Lindsay Cassell (Weston, Mass.) posted her second.

Holy Cross battled back scoring four consecutive goals in the final six minutes of play. Carolyn Smirti beat UMass goalie Lauren McCarthy (Derry, N.H.) to start the rally followed by a pair of goals from Sutton. With 2:48 to go, Jacque Hastings pulled the Crusaders within three, 13-10, with her first tally of the game.



Both squads traded goals in the final 2:00 of action with Connerty scoring for UMass and Smirti scoring for Holy Cross to give the final 14-11 score.

Going into the intermission, both teams were tied with 11 shots. UMass held the final advantage at 26-23. The Minutewomen doubled-up Holy Cross on draw controls, 18-9, but committed 12 turnovers to just seven for the Crusaders. UMass also converted five-of-eight free position shots, while Holy Cross converted three-of-five.

McCarthy made nine saves in the cage for UMass, while Holy Cross' Megan Orr made 10 in the losing effort.

The Minutewomen will return to action on Wednesday, March 2 when they travel to Boston University. The game is set for a 4:00 p.m. start.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago