Field Hockey

Field Hockey Falls To West Chester, 3-2, In A-10 Opener

Caitlin Beresin scored her team-leading fourth goal of the year Saturday, but West Chester scored three unanswered goals for a 3-2 win.

Caitlin Beresin scored her team-leading fourth goal of the year Saturday, but West Chester scored three unanswered goals for a 3-2 win.

Oct. 9, 2004

Box Score

AMHERST, Mass. -- The West Chester University field hockey team scored three unanswered goals in a span of less than 10 minutes to overcome a 2-0 deficit and defeat the University of Massachusetts in both squads' Atlantic 10 openers this afternoon at Garber Field. Massachusetts out-shot West Chester, 18-7, in the game but could not rally back.

With the loss, UMass is now 2-11 overall and 0-1 in league play. West Chester improves to 2-10 and 1-0.

UMass dominated the first 20 minutes of the first half taking five shots and not allowing West Chester any penetration into the offensive zone, but the game was scoreless at halftime. West Chester recorded all three of its shots in one flurry following a penalty corner, but UMass senior Christine Tocco (Reading, Mass.) made three saves.

In the second half, UMass came out firing and quickly took a 2-0 lead just seven minutes after halftime. 2:04 into the second half, sophomore Marije Tigchelaar (The Hague, Netherlands) passed the ball into the circle and found junior Patricia Borneo (Arima, Trinidad & Tobago). Borneo wheeled around and score from six yards out. Less than four minutes later, UMass got its first penalty corner of the game and made the most out of it. Borneo passed in to junior Katelyn Woolfrey (Somerset, Mass.). Woolfrey set for junior Jaime Bawden (Penticton, British Columbia) whose took a shot which was saved by West Chester goalkeeper Carrie Hanshue. Freshman Rachael Mervine (Conway, Mass.) then got the rebound, but her shot hit the right post. Sophomore Gina Sanders (Morgan Hill, Calif.) chased down the rebound and found senior Caitlin Beresin (Acton, Mass.)deep in the circle. Beresin shot and scored for her team-leading fourth goal of the season and gave UMass a 2-0 lead.



It appeared that UMass was in control but on a long ball by Mary Ellen Wells, Tocco came out of the net to kick it away. The officials ruled that she was outside of the circle when she kicked it away and awarded West Chester a penalty corner. The Golden Rams converted as Rachel Lindsey scored off assists by Erin Arrowood and Sara Conrad and that seemed to change the momentum. Mary Ellen Wells then tied the game exactly one minute later when she picked off a UMass pass and beat Tocco from the top of the circle. The Golden Rams then got the game-winning tally eight minutes later when Colleen Smith scored an unassisted tally when she came in on a 2-1 with Mary Ellen Wells.

UMass put the pressure on the rest of the half, but Hanshue stood her ground and added to her save tally which ranks second in the nation. With 6:24 left, UMass tried some trickery on a penalty corner and it nearly worked. Borneo fed Woolfrey and faked the set to Bawden\. Tigchelaar then came in and faked a shot while passing to senior Adrianne Monaco (Oxford, N.Y.) in front of the net. Monaco had Hanshue out of place, but her one-timer went just wide to the left. Two minutes later, UMass had another flurry where it recorded three shots in front of the net but Hanshue was there to stop them all.

UMass had one last chance to tie the game when it was awarded a penalty corner with just 25 seconds left. The Minutewomen took their time to set up and started it with no time on the clock. Borneo fed Woolfrey who set for Tigchelaar. Tigchelaar got the space she needed and fired off a shot that went just wide left and ended the game.

Tocco made four saves for the Minutewomen while Hanshue had eight on the other side.

UMass will host La Salle tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. in an Atlantic 10 battle at Garber Field.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago