Field Hockey

Field Hockey Beats Maine, 1-0, For First Win Of The Season

Patricia Borneo scored with just 4:30 left in the game to give UMass a 1-0 win over Maine Sunday afternoon.

Patricia Borneo scored with just 4:30 left in the game to give UMass a 1-0 win over Maine Sunday afternoon.

Sept. 19, 2004

Box Score

AMHERST, Mass. -- Junior Patricia Borneo (Arima, Trinidad & Tobago) scored an unassisted goal with just 4:30 left in regulation to give the University of Massachusetts field hockey team a 1-0 win over Maine this afternoon at Garber Field. Sophomore Marije Tigchelaar (The Hague, Netherlands) had the ball deep in the Maine zone. Her pass intended for Borneo was intercepted by a Maine defender. As the defender tried to clear it, Borneo knocked the ball down, set it and fired a shot that landed in the left corner of the cage.

"Today was a huge step in the right direction," said UMass Head Coach Patty Shea. "We played extremely well defensively and stuck with the process for an entire 70 minutes. We still need to work on finishing in the offensive end and keeping up the speed that we gain in the midfield. We knew when to possess and when to attack today."

With the win, UMass is now 1-6 while Maine falls to 6-3.

Neither team had many scoring opportunities in the first half. Maine out-shot UMass, 4-3, in the first half and took the only penalty corner. At the 28:02 mark of the first half, sophomore Gina Sanders (Morgan Hill, Calif.) had the Minutewomen's only scoring chance. She received a pass in the center of the circle and fired a back-handed shot on goal that was saved by Maine goalie Jamie Morin. With 4:18 left in the first half, Maine had its only real scoring chance of the half. Joanna Fernandes took a shot off a penalty corner which was blocked by a defender. Emily Dooling then got the rebound and her shot was saved by UMass senior Christine Tocco (Reading, Mass.) in net.

The second half was much different as both teams had several quality scoring opportunities. With 28:39 left, Maine had three chances ti break the scoreless tie off a penalty corner. Meagan Connolly took the first shot and it was saved by Tocco. Rachael Hilgar then had two consecutive opportunities. Her first attempt was saved by Tocco and then the second one was blocked by a UMass defender.



Tocco then saved the day again for UMass with 12:23 left. Kasey Spencer sent a cross pass into the middle of the circle to Amie Dubois. Dubois' tried to flick it past Tocco on the left side, but she made a sprawling save. UMass then had a golden opportunity with 8:26 left. Senior Caitlin Beresin (Acton, Mass.) had the ball on the run coming down the right side. She sent a centering pass towards freshman Kara Murphy (Dedham, Mass.) on the left side. The pass was a little in front of Murphy but she dove and tried to tip it in past the keeper who had come out, but she was unable to get a lot on the shot and it went wide. With 5:38 left, Maine had another penalty corner and Tocco made two saves to keep the game scoreless.

On the other end, Borneo was finally able to break the scoreless tie. It was UMass first goal in 328:57 dating back to its 4-1 loss to Harvard on Sept. 5. Maine would not go down without a fight however. Spencer tipped a ball at midfield away from a UMass player and broke in alone on Tocco. Tocco came out of the net to cut off the angle and Spencer tried to slip the ball by her but she was unable to. Maine got a penalty corner out of this, but could not get off a clean shot. UMass then ran out the clock and sealed its first win of the season.

Tocco made eight saves in net for Massachusetts, while Morin had one for Maine. The Black Bears held the advantage in shots (15-7) and penalty corners (5-3).

Massachusetts will continue its 10-game homestand with two games next weekend on Garber Field. It will host UConn on Saturday, Sept. 25 and Vermont on Sunday, Sept. 26. Both games will begin at 1:00 p.m.


    Event Calendar

    There are no upcoming events.
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago