Field Hockey

No. 7 Field Hockey Drops 4-1 Game At No. 3 UConn

Sophomore goalkeeper Sam Carlino tied a season high with nine saves.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sam Carlino tied a season high with nine saves.

Sept. 18, 2013

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The No. 7 nationally ranked University of Massachusetts field hockey team suffered a 4-1 loss at No. 3 Connecticut's George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex on Wednesday evening. Sophomore midfielder Brooke Sabia tallied her ninth goal of the season against the Huskies. Sophomore goalkeeper Sam Carlino provided a season-high-tying nine saves in the cage.

Carlino totaled a trio of kick-saves during the opening minutes of competition to keep play scoreless early. With six minutes, 56 seconds gone by in the contest, Carlino deflected the first on-target attempt out of the circle before notching back-to-back stops at 6:56 and 7:24. Carlino added a sliding stop at the 8:55 mark as UConn's Chrissy Davidson fired an on-target attempt toward the center of the cage.

The Huskies were able to push a shot across with 10 minutes, 55 seconds gone by as Anne Jeute broke the scoreless tie. Jeute controlled play in the center of the circle and placed a shot into the bottom left corner to put UConn in front, 1-0. The Huskies doubled their lead in the 33rd minute, converting on a penalty corner attempt by Roisin Upton.

Following the break for halftime, UMass' cut into its deficit on its second penalty corner attempt of the contest. In the 50th minute, Hannah Prince inserted the play to Mel Sutherland at the top of the circle. Sutherland directed the ball to Sabia's stick, with the sophomore firing a shot by UConn goalkeeper Sarah Mansfield.

However, after yellow cards were issued to Tory Berry in the 51st minute, Hannah Farrell at 52:30 and Charlotte Verelst three minutes, 28 seconds later, UConn was able to re-take its two-goal advantage. McKenzie Townsend earned the Huskies goal on a pass from Sophie Bowden during the man-advantage at 59:46. Bowden capped scoring with a 67th-minute strike at the goalmouth.



Connecticut led in shots, 21-5 and penalty corners, 6-2.

The Minutewomen return home for their next game, a Sunday, Sept. 22, meeting with Hofstra on Garber Field at 1 p.m. All home contests are free to attend.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago