Field Hockey

Field Hockey Drops 1-0 Heartbreaker To BU

Caitlin Beresin's attempt to tie the game with 2:50 left in regulation hit the post. UMass lost to BU Wednesday night, 1-0.

Caitlin Beresin's attempt to tie the game with 2:50 left in regulation hit the post. UMass lost to BU Wednesday night, 1-0.

Sept. 15, 2004

Box Score

AMHERST, Mass. -- Sarah Shute took a pass from Jen Joyce on a breakaway and scored the only goal of the game with 16:46 left in regulation to give the Boston University field hockey team a 1-0 win over the University of Massachusetts this evening at Garber Field. UMass senior goalkeeper Christine Tocco (Reading, Mass.) made eight saves, including several key stops in the first half to keep the game scoreless.

"Tactically, this is the best we have played as a team in almost three years," said UMass head coach Patty Shea. "We came out with a purpose tonight, but just couldn't finish. We shared the workload and played much better than over the weekend."

Senior Caitlin Beresin (Acton, Mass.) received a pass right in front of the net from sophomore Marije Tigchelaar (The Hague, Netherlands) and attempted to tie the game with 2:50 left. Her shot was targeted for the right corner of the net, but hit off the post. UMass was awarded a penalty corner a few seconds later, but Tigchelaar's shot was blocked by a BU defender.

Boston University dominated play for much of the first half, out-shooting the Minutewomen 9-1 but were unable to beat Tocco. Less than five minutes into the game, BU had a sequence of three straight penalty corners that resulted in three shots on goal, but Tocco denied them all.

The second half started out the same, but 10 minutes in, the UMass offense started to put sustained pressure on the Terriers. At 24:10, freshman Kara Murphy (Dedham, Mass.) walked right in, but her shot was saved by the blocker of Erin Prediger. A few seconds later, UMass was awarded a penalty corner and that spurted several scoring chances that were unsuccessful. On the first attempt, Tigchelaar's shot was blocked. On the next corner, junior Katelyn Woolfrey (Somerset, Mass.) took a shot that was saved by Prediger. Junior Jaime Bawden (Penticton, British Columbia) then took the rebound and fired a shot on goal but again it was saved by Prediger. The third UMass penalty corner in a row did not result in a shot.



Less than five minutes later, the Terriers finally ended the scoreless tie. Joyce and Shute both came in alone on Tocco after getting the ball at midfield on a UMass turnover. Tocco, who had previously denied a BU forward on a breakaway in the first half, came way out of the net to try and cut down the angle. Joyce was able to slip the ball past Tocco and Shute was right there to stuff the ball home and give BU the eventual game-winner.

Tocco made eight saves for UMass while Prediger stopped three shots. BU (2-3) held the edge in shots, 17-9, and penalty corners, 10-3.

UMass (0-6) will host Maine at Garber Field on Sunday, Sept. 19 at 2:00 p.m.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago