Women's Basketball

 
Women's Basketball Falls To Richmond, 73-54

Jasmine Watson picked up her fourth double-double of the season against the Spiders.


Jasmine Watson picked up her fourth double-double of the season against the Spiders.

Jan. 14, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

AMHERST, Mass. - Junior Jasmine Watson posted her fourth double-double of the season with 19 points and 12 rebounds, but the effort was not enough to help the UMass women's basketball team in a 73-54 setback to Richmond at the Mullins Center on Saturday afternoon. With the loss, the Minutewomen are now 6-12 on the season and 1-2 in the Atlantic 10, while the Spiders improve to 14-3 overall and 1-2 in the conference.

Behind Watson's season-high scoring effort, freshman Aisha Rodney came off the bench to chip in six points, while redshirt-sophomore Carolann Cloutier added six points, seven rebounds and handed out six assists. Junior Shakia Robinson logged six points and five rebounds.

Richmond used a pair of free throws by Genevieve Okoro and a three from Rachael Bilney to jump out to a 5-0 start. The Spiders went up by double figures with a Bilney layup at 12:01 that brought the score to 15-5 and led by as many as 20 in the period. The Spiders shot 15-for-35 (42.9%) in the opening half, while UMass was 9-for-26 (34.6%).

The Minutewomen could draw no closer in the second half and finished the contest shooting 36% (21-for-58) overall, 17% (3-for-18) from long range and 53% (9-for-17) at the free throw line. Richmond shot 45% (29-for-64) from the field, 47% (8-for-17) from three and converted 7-for-10 (70%) at the charity stripe, while leading in points off turnovers, 22-12.

Abby Oliver (12 pts), Rachel Bilney (12 pts), Samantha Bilney (10 pts) and Okoro (10 pts) all scored in double figures for the Spiders. Becca Wann grabbed a team-best six rebounds and Rachael Bilney totaled five assists.

UMass returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 18, when the squad will play host to Dayton on Field Trip Day. Tip off is slated for 11:45 a.m. in the Mullins Center.

 

 

GET YOUR OFFICIAL
UMASS GEAR HERE

    Event Calendar

    Saturday, Dec 20
    vs Ohio L, 59-52
    Sunday, Dec 28
    at Boston University 2:00 PM gametracker
    Saturday, Jan 3
    at St. Bonaventure 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, Jan 7
    vs Saint Louis 7:00 PM gametracker
    Saturday, Jan 10
    at Saint Joseph's 2:00 PM
    Thursday, Jan 15
    vs La Salle 7:00 PM gametracker
    Twitter
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago