The Last Meeting
September 25, 2012
Amherst, Mass. (Rudd Field)
Syracuse Squeezes Out 2-0 Win Over UMass
Jordan Murrell scored in the 17th minute and Skylar Thomas added a second goal late in the contest as Syracuse defeated Massachusetts, 2-0, at Rudd Field Tuesday, handing the Minutemen their first home loss of the season. UMass dropped to 3-4-2 on the year while Syracuse improved to 8-2.
• UMass travels to the Empire State to take on Syracuse Wednesday night in arguably it's toughest game thus far. Kickoff at the SU Soccer Complex is at 7 p.m. and admission is free.
• Live stats are available by clicking here. There is no streaming video provided.
• UMass has scored two goals on the year and is averaging 11.1 shots per game. The offense has been more aggressive over the past three games, posting double-digit shot attempts and 14.3 per game.
• Junior F Josh Schwartz scored his first goal of the year in the first half at Vermont two weekends ago and sophomore D Mark Morris notched his first career score late in the contest. Schwartz leads the team with 15 shots, while Peter Alvarenga is second with 10. Matt Bolduc ranks third with nine shots following his career-best three attempts on Wednesday against Fairfield.
• Redshirt freshman GK Nick Ruiz has a 1.42 goals-against average and 6.0 saves per game.
• Syracuse is 5-2 on the year and coming off a pair of solid wins over No. 12 UConn (1-0) and at Duke (2-1) for it's first ACC win of the season. The Orange are ranked sixth in the NSCAA Northeast Region rankings, just ahead of No. 7 Hartford, No. 8 Cornell, No. 9 Vermont and No. 10 Dartmouth - three UMass opponents thus far.
• SU is outscoring it's opponents 2-1 and averaging 11.6 shots per game.
• Alex Halis leads the team with four goals and an assist, while Emil Ekblom has three goals and two assists. Halis and Chris Nanco have two game-winning goals each.
• In goal, Alex Bono has a 0.99 GAA with three shutouts in all 638 minutes this season.
Series History With Syracuse
• Syracuse won the first-ever meeting last season in Amherst 2-0. The Orange got goals in the 17th and 76th minutes for the win. Syracuse held the advantage in shots, 16-4, and took all ten corner kicks in the contest.
Ruiz Among NCAA Leaders In Saves Per Game
• Redshirt freshman GK Nick Ruiz ranks 13th nationally with 5.8 saves per game and fourth with 35 total saves. He stopped a career-high nine shots in a double-OT 0-0 tie with Evansville during the season opener.
Injuries Force UMass Youth Into Service
• UMass entered the 2013 season with a fair amount of experience from the 2012 squad, but saw three players go down with injuries in the first few weeks of preseason camp, forcing the coaching staff to take a hard look at some of the ten first-year position players on the roster.
• As a result, UMass started eight freshmen or sophomores and played 16 of 19 available position players in both games during it's opening weekend. The back row saw a pair of freshman defenders and Ruiz in goal for both games.
• Against Vermont this past Sunday, UMass opened the game with a season-high six freshman.
Schwartz Named Preseason All-Atlantic 10
• Junior F Josh Schwartz was among 27 players named to the preseason Atlantic 10 All-Conference team by College Sports Madness. Schwartz was listed among the four second team forwards and the only UMass player.
• The Annapolis, Md. native led the Minutemen with five goals, two assists and three game-winners a year ago. He was also named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.