The Last Meeting
August 31, 2012
Amherst, Mass. (Rudd Field)
• Massachusetts travels east to face Harvard on Sunday in a game that sees both programs enter looking for their first wins of the 2013 season. Kickoff is at Noon.
• Live streaming video will be provided for a fee ($4.95 for a 24-hour pass or click here for the pricing options). Click here for Gametracker stats.
• UMass has scored two goals on the year and is averaging 11.1 shots per game. The offense has been more aggressive over the past three games, posting double-digit shot attempts and 14.3 per game.
• Junior F Josh Schwartz scored his first goal of the year in the first half at Vermont two weekends ago and sophomore D Mark Morris notched his first career score late in the contest. Schwartz leads the team with 15 shots, while Peter Alvarenga is second with 10. Matt Bolduc ranks third with nine shots following his career-best three attempts on Wednesday against Fairfield.
• Redshirt freshman GK Nick Ruiz has a 1.42 goals-against average and 6.0 saves per game.
• Like the Minutemen, Harvard has yet to crack the win column in 2013, salvaging a scoreless tie with Lafayette last Sunday at home. The Crimson have had a few close calls - going up 1-0 on Providence only to allow three unanswered; allowing two goals to Davidson in the final 18 minutes of a 2-1 loss; and taking a 3-2 double-overtime defeat at Hartford on Friday.
• Andrew Chang, Ashi Geberkidane, Hiroki Kobayaski and Alex Leondis have one goal each on the season.
• In goal, senior Brett Conrad has played all 480 minutes and is posting a 2.06 goals-against average. He has a .686 save pct. and is collecting just under five saves per game.
Series History With Harvard
• UMass' all time record against Harvard is 3-17-4 and has not seen a win against the Crimson since 1985. Last year the teams played to a 1-1 tie in Amherst. In 2011, Harvard scored a 1-0 victory thanks to an overtime penalty kick in the 96th minute of play in Eastern Mass.
Ruiz Among NCAA Leaders In Saves Per Game
• Redshirt freshman GK Nick Ruiz ranks 13th nationally with 5.8 saves per game and fourth with 35 total saves. He stopped a career-high nine shots in a double-OT 0-0 tie with Evansville during the season opener.
Injuries Force UMass Youth Into Service
• UMass entered the 2013 season with a fair amount of experience from the 2012 squad, but saw three players go down with injuries in the first few weeks of preseason camp, forcing the coaching staff to take a hard look at some of the ten first-year position players on the roster.
• As a result, UMass started eight freshmen or sophomores and played 16 of 19 available position players in both games during it's opening weekend. The back row saw a pair of freshman defenders and Ruiz in goal for both games.
• Against Vermont this past Sunday, UMass opened the game with a season-high six freshman.
Schwartz Named Preseason All-Atlantic 10
• Junior F Josh Schwartz was among 27 players named to the preseason Atlantic 10 All-Conference team by College Sports Madness. Schwartz was listed among the four second team forwards and the only UMass player.
• The Annapolis, Md. native led the Minutemen with five goals, two assists and three game-winners a year ago. He was also named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.