The Last Meeting
September 11, 2010
Match At Fairfield Ends In 0-0 Draw For Men's Soccer
The UMass men's soccer earned its second draw of the season, 0-0 at Fairfield on Saturday afternoon. Unbeaten on the road in 2010, the Minutemen move their record to 0-1-2, while the Stags are now 1-1-2 on the year.
• The Massachusetts men's soccer team returns to Rudd Field Wednesday where it will play host to Fairfield at 3:30 p.m. Admission is free and schedule posters will be available at the entrance gates.
• Live streaming video will be provided for a fee ($4.95 for a 24-hour pass or click here for the pricing options). Click here for Gametracker stats.
• UMass has scored two goals on the year and is averaging 9.8 shots per game. Junior F Josh Schwartz scored his first goal of the year in the first half at Vermont two weekends ago and sophomore D Mark Morris notched his first career score late in the contest. Schwartz leads the team with 12 shots, while Peter Alvarenga, Matt Keys and Matt Bolduc have seven apiece.
• Redshirt freshman GK Nick Ruiz has a 1.32 goals-against average and is collecting 5.8 saves per game.
• Fairfield comes into the game with a 1-1-1 record after a 1-0 win at Yale last weekend. The Stags have scored four goals and are averaging eight shots per game. They have converted on both penalty kicks that have been awarded to them.
• Jon Clements leads the team with two goals, both coming on penalty kicks. Jake Zuniga also has a goal and Jordan Ayris has a squad best seven shots and four on goal.
• Freshman GK Joe Martin is holding a 1.86 GAA and has 4.3 saves per game. He was named the MAAC Rookie of the Week after his first career shutout in the win over Yale. He has made five saves in his last two games.
Series History With Fairfield
• UMass leads the series 8-1-2 and is 5-0-1 in games played in Amherst. The teams played every year from 1984-93, but not again until 2010 - a scoreless draw in Fairfield. The Minutemen have seven games by shutout, including the largest margin of victory - a 6-0 win in the inaugural matchup in Conn.
Ruiz Among NCAA Leaders In Saves Per Game
• Redshirt freshman GK Nick Ruiz ranks 13th nationally with 5.8 saves per game and fourth with 35 total saves. He stopped a career-high nine shots in a double-OT 0-0 tie with Evansville during the season opener.
Injuries Force UMass Youth Into Service
• UMass entered the 2013 season with a fair amount of experience from the 2012 squad, but saw three players go down with injuries in the first few weeks of preseason camp, forcing the coaching staff to take a hard look at some of the ten first-year position players on the roster.
• As a result, UMass started eight freshmen or sophomores and played 16 of 19 available position players in both games during it's opening weekend. The back row saw a pair of freshman defenders and Ruiz in goal for both games.
• Against Vermont this past Sunday, UMass opened the game with a season-high six freshman.
Schwartz Named Preseason All-Atlantic 10
• Junior F Josh Schwartz was among 27 players named to the preseason Atlantic 10 All-Conference team by College Sports Madness. Schwartz was listed among the four second team forwards and the only UMass player.
• The Annapolis, Md. native led the Minutemen with five goals, two assists and three game-winners a year ago. He was also named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.