Men's Soccer

UMass falls to GW in overtime, 4-3

2002 A-10 Offensive Player of the Year Jeff Deren recorded his second career hat trick in a 4-3 loss to GW.

2002 A-10 Offensive Player of the Year Jeff Deren recorded his second career hat trick in a 4-3 loss to GW.

Nov. 15, 2002

Box Score

RICHMOND, Va. -- The University of Massachusetts men's soccer team dropped a tough 4-3 overtime decision to George Washington in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament here Friday evening.

The loss drops UMass, the A-10 regular-season champion, to 12-6-2 on the year, and it now must wait until Monday to see if it earn a second consecutive NCAA Tournament bid.

The Minutemen jumped on the board early in the first half. After UMass earned a throw-in in its half of the field, sophomore Martin Burwell (Virginia Beach, Va.) played a perfect ball from near half-field to a streaking Jeff Deren (Chicopee, Mass.). Deren then blasted his 20th goal of the season past a diving GWU goalie into the lower right corner at the 8:53 mark for a 1-0 cushion.

UMass had a golden opportunity around the 20-minute mark as the Minutemen kept the pressure on the GWU keeper, drawing two corners and two direct kicks within a five-minute span, but couldn't capitalize on any of the chances. Massachusetts also had a goal disallowed by an offsides call at the 18-minute mark.

The Minutemen dominated possession in the first 25 minutes of the period, but George Washington 's Arnar Johannsson tied it at the 31:13 mark on a penalty kick, after UMass was called for a foul in the penalty box.

UMass then got an unlucky break with five minutes left as Devlin Barnes (Bethesda, Md.) fired a 35-yard rocket off the left post. The Minutemen couldn't get a foot on the rebound and the score remained 1-1. However, the Colonials took a 2-1 lead moments before halftime as Johannsson scored on cross from Matt Osborne at the 44:09 mark.

UMass knotted the score at 2-2 on Deren's 21st goal of the season. Ptah Myers (Columbus, Ohio) and Yuri Morales (Santa Cruz, Calif.) played a well-executed give-and-go and Myers found Deren camping out in front of the net and he blasted it past Lund at the 60:05 mark. Deren nearly gave the Minutemen another one-goal lead at the 78-minute mark, but a shot caromed off the left post and bounced out to keep the score at two each.



GWU's Matt Osborne gave the Colonials a 3-2 cushion at the 83:30 mark off a corner kick.

But UMass wouldn't give up, and took full advantage of its final chance. GWU was called for a handball in the penalty box, giving the Minutemen a penalty kick. Deren stepped up and calmly drilled the ball into the top right corner to tie the game at 3-3 at the 89:32 mark. The goal was Deren's 22nd of the season and second career hat trick.

However, GWU would score with one second remaining in the first overtime session on a Johannsson header to dash UMass' hopes for a second straight A-10 Tournament championship.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago