Men's Soccer

Temple-UMass Play To 1-1 Tie In Men's Soccer

Oral Bullen scores off a pass from Richie Higa for his fifth goal of the year. (file photo)

Oral Bullen scores off a pass from Richie Higa for his fifth goal of the year. (file photo)

Oct. 3, 2004

Box Score

AMBLER, PA - Temple senior midfielder Steven Wacker tallied his first goal of the season in the 48th minute and then the Owls held on for a 1-1 double-overtime tie against Massachusetts in a game marred by 47 fouls and 10 cards Sunday afternoon at Ambler Field. Temple remains undefeated in league play with a 1-0-1 record (4-5-1 overall) while UMass improves to 3-5-3, 0-0-2.

The two A-10 rivals battled hard during a scoreless first half before Wacker put the Owls on the board early in the second period. The senior captain took a pass from sophomore midfielder Ryan Heins from 15-yards out and drilled it by Minuteman keeper Nick Billman (five saves).

UMass tied the contest in the 78th minute when Oral Bullen headed a pass from Richie Higa past Temple keeper Patrick Hannigan for his fifth goal of the year. Mike Mingione was also credited with an assist on the play.

Hannigan, who made two of his fives saves in the overtime period, did not start the contest due to a violation of team rules. He replaced starter Tony Pratico (two saves) in the 28th minute. Junior sweeper Joe Brocker also violated team rules and sat the first part of the contest as well.

Temple played a man down in the final 16 minutes of the overtime periods as Chad Baker was red-carded due to an unsportsmanlike act. It was the 10th and final card of the match with five other yellow cards being handed out to Owl players. UMass received four yellow cards.

The overtime match was the fourth in a row for the Minutemen. Temple was playing its third straight overtime match, and fourth of the season.

UMass returns to action on Friday when the Minutemen take on A-10 rival Richmond and on Sunday against George Washington.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago