Men's Lacrosse

Fourth Quarter Comeback Gives Colgate 13-11 Win Over Men's Lacrosse

Tim McCormack made 13 saves in his final collegiate contest on Saturday.

Tim McCormack made 13 saves in his final collegiate contest on Saturday.

May 12, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

AMHERST, Mass. - A four-goal fourth quarter gave No. 9 Colgate a 13-11 win over the sixth-seeded and No. 1 ranked UMass men's lacrosse team on Saturday afternoon at Garber Field. The Minutemen led 10-9 after three quarters, but the Raiders finished the game scoring three unanswered taking their first lead of the game with 7:12 left before scoring again three minutes later to secure a spot in the NCAA Quarterfinals. The Minutemen finish suffered their first loss of the season to end 2012 with a 15-1 record.

Art Kell led the Minutemen with three goals, while Colin Fleming had two goals and an assist. Conor Mooney, Steve D'Amario, Bobby Tyler and Will Manny each posted a goal and an assist each. Defensively, Greg Rushing had three caused turnovers and six groundballs, while Tom Celentani had two caused turnovers and four groundballs. Tim McCormack made 13 saves in goal.

Peter Baum, the nation's leading scorer coming into the contest, Matt Baker, and Ryan Walsh each scored twice for Colgate (14-3). Baum and Walsh each added assists as well. Conor Murphy made his first career start in goal making a game-high 15 saves to earn his first career win.

UMass jumped out to a 3-0 lead to start the game as Kell opened up the scoring just under four minutes into the contest. Fleming scored back-to-back goals as the Minutemen looked sharp in the first 10 minutes of play. Colgate's Brendon McCann got the Raiders on the board with 2:49 left in the quarter as UMass to a 3-1 lead into the second.

Mooney put UMass back up by three just 43 seconds into the second, but seven seconds later, Chris Zielinski scored off the faceoff making the score 4-2.

The Minutemen stretched the lead to 7-2 thanks to three straight goals, but Colgate responded with a three goal run to close the second quarter with UMass leading 7-5 at halftime.

Out of the intermission, it looked as if the Minutemen had regained momentum scoring two straight on goals from D'Amario and Kell to go up 9-5 with 9:54 left in the third. Four straight Colgate goals punctuated by Baker's second of the game with 37 seconds to go tied the game 9-9. Anthony Toresco popped the next faceoff towards goal, collected the groundball and then scored six seconds after Baker's tally to give the lead back to UMass 10-9.

Patrick Campbell's first goal of the season tied the game for the third time at the 10:25 mark of the fourth. Just under two minutes later, Anthony Biscardi netted his first goal of the game to put the Minutemen back on top 11-10.

Walsh tied the game again with 7:58 to go followed by Zielinski's second of the game giving Colgate its first lead of the game, 12-11, with 7:12 left in regulation.

Murphy made three saves and the Raider defense block a pair of UMass shots and forced a pair of turnovers to hold the Minutemen at bay to seal the win. UMass had three possessions in the final three minutes of the quarter, but were unable to capitalize.

For the Raiders, they will move on to next face Duke in the NCAA Quarterfinals in Philadelphia next Sunday.




    Event Calendar

    There are no upcoming events.
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago