Men's Lacrosse

No. 9 Men's Lax Takes Control Of ECAC With 13-12 Win Over No. 3 Hoyas

Gene Tundo celebrates one of his two goals in the win over the Hoyas.

Gene Tundo celebrates one of his two goals in the win over the Hoyas.

April 23, 2005

  • AUDIO: Hear the last 52 seconds of the game
  • AUDIO: Greg Cannella Postgame Interview

    Box Score |  Photo Gallery

    AMHERST, Mass. Not even torrential rain could prevent the No. 9 University of Masschusetts men's lacrosse team from toppling the No. 3 Georgetown Hoyas, 13-12, in an Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) men's lacrosse game this afternoon on Garber Field.

    With the win, UMass (9-2, 4-1) gained sole possession of first place in the ECAC. The Minutemen defeated their highest ranked opponent since 2003, when UMass defeated then No. 3 Georgetown, 11-8, in Amherst. Georgetown is now 8-3, 3-1 in the ECAC.

    With 10 seconds remaining in the game, the Hoyas controlled the ball and Brendan Cannon ripped a shot at the cage, but senior Bill Schell (Mahopac, N.Y.) came up huge, collecting his eighth save of the game, and sealing the victory for the Minutemen.

    Junior All-American Sean Morris (Marshfield, Mass.) paced the Minutemen attack with four goals on the afternoon, three coming in a 2:15 span at the end of the second quarter. Morris leads UMass with 31 goals, including seven hat tricks this season.

    Seniors Jeff Zywicki (Napean, Ontario) tallied a goal and two assists, while Gene Tundo (Orchard Park, N.Y.) each found the back of the cage twice on the afternoon. Midfielders Chris Doyle (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) and Pat Larmon (Chesterfield, Mo.) each had two goals in the win as well.



    Jack Reid pummels a Georgetown player.

    In the fourth quarter, with the score tied 9-9, each face-off became crucial. Junior Jake Deane (Annapolis, Md.) dominated the "X" in the fourth quarter, winning 5-of-8 face-offs, against Georgetown's Andy Corno, the nation's top face-off specialist.

    UMass jumped on the scoreboard early as Tundo finished a feed from Zywicki with 7:30 remaining in the first quarter. Senior Ryan Connolly (North Andover, Mass.) then scored his first goal of the season at the 5:46 mark to put UMass up, 2-1. Pete Cannon would answer back for the Hoyas, scoring his first of five goals on the afternoon, to cut the lead to one. UMass responded by scoring two consecutive goals in just under two minutes, receiving tallies from sophomores Pat Larmon and Brian Jacovina (Hicksville, N.Y.). Matt McBride would score a goal with :49 seconds left in the quarter for Georgetown, giving UMass a 4-2 lead after one quarter of play.

    The second quarter was full of offensive action, as the two teams combined for nine goals. Larmon opened up the stanza, scoring his second goal of the game off a feed from Jacovina. The Hoyas tallied a man-up goal, thanks to Derek Mills, before senior Chris Doyle buried a goal as Connolly delivered his first assist of the season.

    Georgetown answered right back, registering two tallies, including a man-down goal by Brendan Cannon, bring the Hoyas within one. With 2:16 remaining in the half, Morris erupted, recording three unassisted goals, including his final with one second left on the clock, to give UMass a 9-6 lead heading into the locker room.

    The Hoyas responded in the third, holding the Minutemen scoreless and finding the back of the cage three times, to tie the game up, heading into the final period.

    Georgetown struck first, going up 10-9, off a goal from Pete Cannon with 12:13 left in the game. However, four consecutive Minutemen goals, by Doyle, Zywicki, Morris, and Tundo, put UMass up 13-10 with 4:58 remaining. Two late goals by Pete Cannon put the Hoyas in reach of tying the game up late, but Schell's last second save on Brendan Cannon ended the Hoya's hopes.

    UMass takes on Harvard in a rescheduled game on Tuesday, April 26, at 3:00 in Cambridge, Mass. The Minutemen return to Garber Field next Saturday, as they take on No. 7 Syracuse at 1:00 p.m.

  • Twitter
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago