Men's Lacrosse

No. 11 UMass Upset By Loyola, 6-5

Gene Tundo had a goal and assist in the loss.

Gene Tundo had a goal and assist in the loss.

March 26, 2005

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

BALTIMORE, Md. - Four unanswered goals bridging the second and third quarters proved to be the difference as the No. 11 University of Massachusetts men's lacrosse team was upset by Loyola College, 6-5, this afternoon on Geppi-Aikens Field.

UMass (5-2, 0-1 ECAC) rallied back to tie the game at 5-5 early in the fourth quarter but Loyola Shane Koppens scored his third of the game with 3:59 for the game-winner. The Minutemen had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds as Gene Tundo's (Orchard Park, N.Y.) shot was stopped by Michael Fretwell for his 16th save of the game, securing Loyola's ninth consecutive win over UMass without a defeat.

Senior Jeff Zywicki (Napean, Ontario) tallied the first goal of the game, when senior Tundo found Zywicki all alone in front of the cage with 9:17 remaining in the first period. It would prove to be the only scoring of the period.

The Greyhounds responded in the second period, by scoring three unanswered goals. Freshman Shane Koppens scored first for Loyola, 4:10 in the stanza. Four minutes later senior Matt Monfett streaked down the right side of the field to put the Greyhounds up, 2-1. Loyola would tack on its third goal of the period as sophomore Patrick Kennedy tallied a man-up goal with 3:30 to put the Greyhounds up, 3-1, heading into the locker room. It was the first time this season that the Minutemen had been held scoreless in a period of play.

Loyola (3-3) tallied the first goal of the second half to register four unanswered goals for the Greyhounds. Zywicki ended the UMass scoring drought as he found the back of the net off a feed from sophomore Brett Garber (Avon, Conn.) with 8:18 to play in the quarter. Koppens added his second of the game just over a minute later, before Garber scored a man-up goal off a dish from junior Sean Morris (Marshfield, Mass.). Morris would cut the lead to one as he hit the twine with just one second left on the clock when he cranked a shot off a feed from senior Chris Doyle (Putnam Valley, N.Y.).



Tundo would tie the game with 13:52 left to play, when he lost his defender on a spin move. Loyola would regain the lead for good with Koppens tallied his hat trick at the 3:59 mark off a helper from Chris Einhorn.

The Loyola defense was the story in the game, led by goalkeeper Fretwell, who made 16 saves on the afternoon, and defenseman Dan Gross shutdown UMass' Sean Morris, holding him to just a goal and an assist in the game limiting his possessions all game.

UMass returns home to Garber Field to continue ECAC league play on Saturday, April 2 at 12:00 p.m., when the Minutemen take on Penn State.

Notes: UMass opened up ECAC league play against a team other than Penn State for the first time since 2000, which is the same year that UMass had played Loyola last. The Minutemen are 3-3 in season openers

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago