Men's Lacrosse

Men's Lacrosse Falls To Brown, 9-8 In Overtime

Sophomore attack Grant Whiteway led the UMass offense with three goals against Brown.

Sophomore attack Grant Whiteway led the UMass offense with three goals against Brown.

March 2, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

AMHERST, Mass. - Brown University scored the final three goals of the fourth quarter and netted the winning tally in overtime to defeat No. 5 UMass, 9-8 at Garber Field on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore attack Grant Whiteway earned his first collegiate hat trick with a trio of goals against the Bears while redshirt-freshman goalie Zachary Oliveri tallied 15 saves in net for the Minutemen (3-1 overall). The loss marks the first regular season defeat for UMass since April 23, 2011, against Hofstra, a stretch of 16 consecutive victories.

Entering overtime tied at eight, Joe Calvello gave UMass the ball with one of the junior's 17 faceoff victories in 20 attempts against Brown. The Minutemen held possession for the first 1:10, until a turnover gave Brown's Sam Ford an opportunity to clear the play and find Daniel Mellynchuk for the game-winner.

The Minutemen recorded back-to-back goals in the fourth quarter to earn an 8-5 lead with seven minutes left in regulation. Freshman attack Sean Cleary was unassisted in putting UMass ahead by two with 8:17 remaining while Whiteway followed only 1:06 later to complete the sophomore's hat trick. However, the Bears responded with three goals in 3:49 minutes of play to tie the game and force overtime.

Brown struck first in the game, taking a 1-0 lead with seven minutes left in the first quarter during a man-up situation. However, UMass answered only 52 seconds later to even it at one each, as senior attack Kyle Smith found junior midfielder Matt Whippen for his team-leading ninth goal of the season. Whiteway pushed UMass ahead for the first time on the day with 4:08 to play in the first, doing so unassisted.

The Bears were able to put two unanswered goals on the board in the second quarter to take a 3-2 lead into the break. Sam Hurster tied it up at 2-2 and Mellynchuk recorded Brown's third tally of the day with six seconds left in the second quarter.

The UMass offense controlled play during the third quarter, outscoring the Bears, 4-1 on the strength of a goal each by four different Minutemen. Junior attack Connor Mooney slotted a pass to Whiteway before the sophomore attack found the back of the net to even the score at 3-3 with 8:52 left in the third. After Henry Blynn responded for the Bears, UMass used three goals in 92 seconds to move ahead, 6-4.

Freshman attack Andrew Sokol started the run with his seventh tally of the season on a pass from Whippen with 2:34 left. Calvello won the ensuing faceoff and sprinted into the offensive zone with possession, placing an attempt by Brown netminder Jack Kelly for his first collegiate goal, only six seconds later. Mooney added his second point of the day with the junior's lone goal to close scoring in the third with UMass ahead, 6-4, at the 1:02 mark.

Kylor Bellistri netted a hat trick for the Bears during the fourth, scoring all three in succession to force overtime, while Alex Jones notched the first Brown goal of the final quarter.

The Bears outshot UMass, 46-30 while the Minutemen earned the edge in groundballs, 30-18. UMass finished 13-of-16 on clears while Brown went 17-for-19. Each team recorded one man-up tally in three attempts. Kelley finished with eight saves in net for the Bears.

The Minutemen will travel to No. 19 Albany (1-2) for their next game, facing the Great Danes on Tuesday, March 5, at 3:00 p.m.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago