Ice Hockey

Minutemen Defeat Army 2-1 In Consolation Game Of UConn Tourney

Cory Quirk scored his third goal of the season on Friday afternoon. Photo by Karen Winger.

Cory Quirk scored his third goal of the season on Friday afternoon. Photo by Karen Winger.

Dec. 30, 2005

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Massachusetts (6-11-0, 3-7-0 Hockey East) rebounded from Thursday's loss and came away with a 2-1 win over Army (4-11-3, 2-6-3 Atlantic Hockey) on Friday afternoon at the Freitas Ice Forum on the UConn campus. The Minutemen return to league competition next weekend with a home-and-home series against Merrimack.

As it was during Thursday's game vs. Bowling Green, neither team was able to get on the board in the first, with both the Minutemen and Black Knights generating eight shots on net. One penalty was called to each team.

Working its penalty-killing unit with David Leaderer serving two for checking at 1:31 of the second, UMass broke the scoreless tie just nine seconds after the penalty expired. Freshman Cory Quirk was credited with the goal that went five-hole on Army's Brad Roberts at 3:40, assisted by Jamie Solon and Marvin Degon. It was Quirk's third goal of the season, and first since Nov. 25 vs. then-No. 3 Colorado College.

Chris Capraro nearly made it a 2-0 game with a little over four remaining in the period, taking a shot from the blueline that hit the near post then the far post and out. The red light briefly was lit but nothing counted on the board. Capraro hit another pipe with 2:30 remaining, and Degon followed with the third of the period shortly after.

Through two periods of play, shots were 23-16 in favor of Army. At the second intermission, the Minutemen were 0-for-2 on the power play, while the Black Knights were 0-for-3.

Army's Zach McKelvie knotted the game at one at 9:56 of the third, with an even-strength goal assisted by Chase Podsiad and Bryce Hollweg. The goal, which was tipped past Gabe Winer, closed out 69 minutes and 12 seconds of consecutive shutout time for the senior netminder.



But the Minutemen answered with a power play tally, their third in as many games, at 12:19. Mark Matheson was credited with the go-ahead goal, taking his shot from the blueline and beating Roberts high. Capraro and Degon both assisted on UMass' second of the day.

Army called timeout with 1:15 remaining in the contest and pulled its goaltender with 51 seconds to go in favor of the extra attacker, but was unable to convert, resulting in UMass' sixth win of the season.

Overall, shots were 34-26 in favor of the Black Knights. UMass was 1-for-3 on the power play, while Army was 0-for-4.

The Minutemen return to league action next weekend with a home-and-home series with Merrimack, with Friday's game being played in Amherst at the Mullins Center. Game time for both nights is set for 7 p.m.


    Event Calendar

    July 18
    vs Pond Club Golf Event, Orchards G.C. TBA
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago