Ice Hockey

Hockey Downs #15 UMass Lowell, 3-2, In OT

Werner is mobbed after scoring the winning goal 48 seconds into overtime.

Werner is mobbed after scoring the winning goal 48 seconds into overtime.

Oct. 22, 2004

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

AMHERST, Mass. -- Junior captain Stephen Werner (Chevy Chase, Md.) scored 48 seconds into overtime to give the University of Massachusetts hockey team a 3-2 win over 15th-ranked UMass Lowell Friday night at the Mullins Center. Werner as well as redshirt sophomore Matt Anderson (West Islip, N.Y.) had a goal and an assist on the night. The Minutemen are now 3-1 overall and 1-0 in Hockey East play, while the River Hawks drop to 1-2 overall and 0-2 in league play.

Massachusetts led 2-1 in the third period when UMass Lowells' Danny O'Brien scored his first goal of the season on the power-play at the 12:19 mark to tie the game. This came one second after they got a skater back on the ice following a five-minute major. Kelly Sullivan was called for a hitting from behind major at 7:18 and given a game misconduct. Four minutes into the Minutemen's power-play, the team was given a bench minor for too many men on the ice. UMass had a late flurry in the final minute of regulation, but were unable to break the tie and the game went into overtime. UMass put five shots on goal in the final minute, but Lowell goaltender Chris Davidson stopped them all.

Just 48 second into overtime, Werner received a pass from Anderson on the face-off and let off a wrist shot. It was blocked by a defender, but came right back to him. He then fired off another quick shot and this time it found the back of the net to give UMass its second straight win.

Lowell got on the board first with just seven seconds left in the first period. Just two second after senior Tim Vitek (Dresden, Ontario) was called for a hooking penalty, Cleve Kinley scored off a feed from Ben Walter to give the River Hawks a 1-0 lead. Walter won the face-off and Kinley scored on a slap shot from the point. UMass was able to tie the game mid-way through the second period. Freshman P.J. Fenton (Longmeadow, Mass.) scored at 9:31 of the second when he put a wrist shot into the lower right corner of the net. Classmate Matt Burto (Orange, Conn.) assisted on the play for his first collegiate point. It marked the second straight game in which Fenton scored.

UMass then went up 2-1 five and a half minutes later when Anderson scored his fourth goal of the year on a 3-and-1 at the 15:01 mark. Werner carried the puck down the left side. After he crossed the line, he found sophomore Garrett Summerfield (Endicott, N.Y.) on the near post. Summerfield then passed to Anderson who was trailing the play down the middle. Anderson just lifted the puck over the glove of Davidson for the lamplighter.

In net, Davidson made 23 saves while UMass junior Gabe Winer (Stoughton, Mass.) stopped 25 shots. Both teams had six penalties called against them. UMass has 12 minutes while UMass-Lowell had 23. The Minutemen were 0-for-5 on the power-play, while the Riverhawks were 2-for-6. Lowell held a slim 27-26 edge in shots.

Massachusetts will play Connecticut in a non-conference game at the Mullins Center on Sunday. Face-off is slated for 3:00 p.m.




    Event Calendar

    July 18
    vs Pond Club Golf Event, Orchards G.C. TBA
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago