Oct. 18, 2003
MASSACHUSETTS 5, ST. LAWRENCE 1 (POST-GAME NOTES)
* The Minutemen are 3-0-0 for the first time since the 1995-96 season. That team started 3-0-0 and 4-1-0.
* Freshman Mark Matheson (Calgary, Alberta) tallied his first career goal with a power-play netter with just 1:02 left in the first period. The goal enabled the Minutemen to score at least one power-play goal in their fifth straight game.
* The Minutemen tied a season low with only five shots on goal in the first period. The other time came in the third period against UMass Lowell last Saturday night.
* Chris Capraro set a career-high with two goals tonight, the eighth and ninth of his career.
* The Minutemen scored a shorthanded goal for the second straight game when Tim Vitek tallied his first career shorthander early in the third period.
* The UMass penalty kill gave up its first power-play goal in 15 opportunities early in the third period. UMass has killed off 25-of-28 (.893) in the last five games, and 15-of-16 (.938) so far this season.
* Meanwhile, UMass is 7-of-24 (.292) on the power play in the last five games.
* The Minutemen had a season-high 14 penalties for 28 minutes in tonight's contest.
* Thomas Pöck has three consecutive multi-point games, and a six-game scoring streak (4 g, 8 a).
* UMass allowed a season-low three shots in the second period against St. Lawrence.
* The Minutemen have scored four or more goals in six of the last seven games.
* Stephen Werner (Chevy Chase, Md.) scored his 40th career point with a second-period assist. He now has 41 career points (16 g, 25 a).