Ice Hockey

Minutemen Top Clarkson 4-2 To Split In The North Country

Marvin Degon scored two power play goals in UMass' 4-2 win over Clarkson on Saturday night.

Marvin Degon scored two power play goals in UMass' 4-2 win over Clarkson on Saturday night.

Oct. 15, 2005

Box Score

POTSDAM, N.Y. - The University of Massachusetts came out of New York's North Country trip with a win on Saturday night, beating Clarkson University by the score of 4-2. UMass remains unbeaten in the series with the Golden Knights and improves to 1-1-0 on the season.

As it was on Friday vs. St. Lawrence, the opening stanza was filled with penalties, with a total of eight infractions being called. In spite of this, Massachusetts got on the board first with a power play tally at 4:17. After a UMass 5x3 expired, Stephen Werner took the puck behind the Clarkson net and passed it to Matt Anderson who shot it over the shoulder of Kyle McNulty for his first goal since Nov. 5, 2004 vs. Merrimack. P.J. Fenton also assisted on the goal.

While the Golden Knights were called for four penalties, it was Minuteman rookie Alex Berry that was called for a five-minute major and game misconduct for boarding at 16:52. As it was a game misconduct, Berry will be available for next week's home opener vs. Holy Cross. UMass got a break when Clarkson's Jeff Genovy was called for holding with 3:06 remaining in the extended man advantage, closing the period with the 1-0 lead and two men in the box.

The penalties continued to add up in the second as an additional seven were called, affording the Minutemen a total of four power play opportunities. Continuing where he left off as UMass' top power play scorer, senior Marvin Degon dished out two PP goals in the period to make it a 3-0 game. With a flurry of activity in front of the net, Degon picked up the puck from Anderson and shot it past McNulty at 3:33 for the two-goal cushion. Fenton also assisted on the goal, which was originally waved off.



Degon's second came during an extended power play opportunity, with Clarkson's Jamie McKinven being assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting Mark Matheson from behind. The shot came from between the blueline and the faceoff circle at 13:00, assisted by Anderson and Werner. Degon's last two-goal game came on Jan. 7, 2005 at UMass Lowell.

Quick was kept in the game, making a total of 23 saves up to that point, including back-to-back shots from above the crease in the seventh minute.

Anderson scored his second goal of the game at 2:57 to make it a 4-0 game for the Minutemen, assisted by Matheson and Matt Burto. Anderson's last two-goal game was the Nov. 5, 2004 game vs. the Warriors.

The Golden Knights ended Quick's bid for a shutout with 9:58 remaining in the game when Philippe Paquet scored from inside the circle to make it 4-1. Pulling its goalie with just under four minutes left in the game, Clarkson capitalized with 10 seconds remaining when Nick Dodge scored, assisted by Genovy and Chris Brekelmans and the game ultimately ended with the 4-2 score.

Overall, shots were 29-27 in favor of the Golden Knights. UMass was 3-for-8 on the power play and held Clarkson scoreless during its six power play opportunities.

Massachusetts opens its home season next week with a nonconference matchup with Holy Cross on Friday. Game time is set for 7 p.m. For tickets, call 1-866-UMASS TIX.


    Event Calendar

    July 18
    vs Pond Club Golf Event, Orchards G.C. TBA
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago