UMass-Boston College Game Notes
Oct. 14, 2002
- This was the 30th meeting between the two teams, with Boston College leading the series 25-4-1. BC has won five in a row and six of the last seven.
- The Eagles had a 5-on-3 advantage early in the first period. The Minutemen had killed off the first penalty, but moments later freshman standout Patrick Eaves tallied the first goal of his career at the 14:13 mark of the first period. Eaves would tally number two of the evening 10 minutes later for a 2-0 Eagle lead.
- The Minutemen have gone 90:44 without a goal against Boston College, dating back to last year.
- The loss is the worst loss against Boston College since a 7-1 setback on Jan. 26, 1999, a span of 12 games.
- BC's penalty-kill unit must be doing something right against UMass. The Minutemen have gone 0-for-30 in the last seven games, and the last power-play goal came in UMass' 5-1 win over the Eagles on Feb. 26, 2000.
- The Minutemen got a strong goalkeeping effort from freshman Gabe Winer (Stoughton, Mass.). He turned away eight of nine shots in the third period and allowed only a late power-play goal.
- UMass will play Boston College two more times this year, both at BC's Conte Forum. The next meeting will be Jan. 3 and the final meeting will be on Jan. 31.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL