Ice Hockey

Boston College Takes Game One Vs. UMass 3-2 In OT

Obi Aduba celebrates after scoring his second goal of the season--and the second goal of the game for UMass--on Friday night vs. Boston College.

Obi Aduba celebrates after scoring his second goal of the season--and the second goal of the game for UMass--on Friday night vs. Boston College.

March 11, 2005

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - In the first game of the Hockey East quarterfinal series between the No. 8-seeded Minutemen and top-seeded Boston College, the Eagles came out on top with a 3-2 overtime win. Obi Aduba and P.J. Fenton scored for UMass (13-22-2, 6-17-2 Hockey East), opening up a 2-0 lead, but BC (22-6-7, 15-3-7 Hockey East) came back with three unanswered for the win. Both teams square off again tomorrow night at 7 p.m.

Friday's game shared many similarities with the 3-3 draw back on Nov. 12. In both games, Gabe Winer held Boston College scoreless, making 12 saves in the first period. UMass also scored two unanswered goals to open the second periods of both contests, while the Eagles came back twice to force overtime. But this time, one team had to come out a winner and BC was the team to do it.

The UMass penalty-killing units had plenty of opportunities to skate in the first, with three Minutemen being called for infractions--two within 1:02 of each other. With P.J. Fenton in the box for high sticking at 5:36, Dusty Demianiuk was called for boarding at 6:38, affording the Eagles 58 seconds of 5-on-3 play. But UMass was successful in killing off that time and kept BC off the scoreboard through the duration of the period.

UMass put up seven shots in the opening stanza compared to the Eagles' 12.

The Minutemen were the first to get on the board, with Obi Aduba registering his second goal of the season at 2:02. James Solon and Kevin Jarman were behind the BC net exchanging passes when Solon passed it up to Aduba at the top of the crease. Aduba fired it in the open net for the 1-0 lead.



Fenton made it a 2-0 game just over two minutes later with his first goal since Feb. 12 vs. New Hampshire. Matt Burto took the long pass from Marvin Degon and slid it across the crease to Fenton, beating Matti Kaltianen.

After a BC timeout, the Eagles made it a 2-1 game with 1:37 remaining in the period. Patrick Eaves beat Gabe Winer inside the post, the initial pass by Dave Spina coming off of a UMass turnover.

At the end of two, shots were 19-13 in favor of the Eagles.

Boston College tied it up at 2:52, the goal coming from Brian Boyle. The power play shot hit Winer and bounced high, landing behind him and rolling over the goal line. Eaves and Spina assisted on the tying goal.

In the midst of a flurry of BC shots, UMass Head Coach Don Cahoon called for a timeout at 10:02, but the Eagles continued to roll and test the Minutemen, hitting posts and keeping the puck in the offensive zone for the majority of time. Winer kept his team in it, turning away 15 or 17 shots--36 total in regulation. UMass put up 19. As neither team scored to break the tie, the game went into overtime.

The Minutemen regained their composure in OT, but it was the Eagles that capitalized on a lucky bounce and captured the win. The gamewinner came from Stephen Gionta at 5:32.

At the end of the contest, shots were 42-22 Boston College. UMass was 0-for-3 on the power play, while the Eagles went 1-for-4.

The series resumes tomorrow night at 7 p.m.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago