Ice Hockey

Minutemen Upset Black Bears In Game One

Dusty Demianiuk scored his first goal of the season to help UMass to a 5-3 win.

Dusty Demianiuk scored his first goal of the season to help UMass to a 5-3 win.

March 6, 2003

Box Score

ORONO, Maine - The University of Massachusetts hockey team withstood a late Maine charge and took game one of the best two-out-of-three series Thursday night at Alfond Arena, 4-3. The win gives UMass a 1-0 lead in the series with the second game coming on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. The win moves UMass within one victory of its first-ever Hockey East semifinals appearance. The loss was Maine's first-ever in the Hockey East Playoffs at Alfond Arena.

After a shaky first two minutes, the Minutemen settled down and went on their first power play of the night just 2:20 into the game. UMass got one shot on goal on the man-advantage, but Maine successfully killed it off to keep the game scoreless. Maine went on its first power play 7:38 into the game, and added an extra attacker just eight seconds later on another UMass penalty for a 5-on-3 advantage. The Black Bears took full advantage when Martin Kariya found a gap in front of the net and easily put in in the back of the net at the 8:07 mark for a 1-0 lead. The Minutemen had a golden opportunity to tie the game just two minutes later, but Mike Warner (Waltham, Mass.) was stoned from in close to keep UMass at bay. The Minutemen tied the game at one at the 12:19 when James Solon (Acton, Mass.) drew back a face-off to sophomore defenseman Dusty Demianiuk (Franklin, Mass.). Demianiuk fired a shot that took a strange hop in the front of the net and skipped into the back of the net. The goal was Demianiuk's first goal of the season. UMass took a lead over a minute-and-a-half later when Matt Anderson (West Islip, N.Y.) sent a backhanded shot by the Maine blue-line that skipped off Maine goalie Jimmy Howard's stick into the back of the net. The goal was assisted by Tim Turner (Saginaw, Mich.) and Greg Mauldin (Holliston, Mass.) at the 13:51 mark.



UMass went up 3-1 just 2:54 into the second period, when Peter Trovato (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored on a rebound that slid to the low left post. The goal was assisted by Josh Hanson (Medford, Mass.) and Solon. The goal was Trovato's fifth of the season and Solon's assist was his second of the game. After the Black Bears pulled goalie Jim Howard, the Minutemen nearly added to the lead a minute later when Chris Capraro (Medford, Mass.) circled in front of the net and fired a shot that rang off the outside of the left post to keep the Minutemen lead at two. Maine went on a power play at the 6:44 mark, but freshman goalie Gabe Winer (Stoughton, Mass.) was up to the challenge, turning away two Maine shots to keep the Minuteman lead at two. However, after killing off the Maine power play, the Black Bears drew within one when John Ronan tallied his second goal of the season at the 9:47 mark. Winer then held off every Maine threat in the last half of the second period to keep the Minuteman lead at 3-2 heading into the third period.

Maine peppered Winer with shots early in the broke through when Gray Shaneberger sniped a shot from the right wing that found its way through traffic to the left post at the 1:36 mark to knot the score at three. But the Minutemen responded just 18 seconds later when freshman Stephen Jacobs (Westminster, Mass.) tallied his first career goal at the 1:54 mark to push the UMass lead back to 4-3. Jacobs rocketed a shot that trickled through Frank Doyle's legs. Tim Vitek (Dresden, Ontario) assisted on Jacobs' netter. Winer dodged two major-league bullets midway through the third period as two Maine shots clanged off the iron, one off the left post at the 15-minute mark and then one off the crossbar with about 10 minutes to play. The Minutemen also had a goal disallowed that would have given UMass a 5-3 advantage with about 12 minutes to play, when Warner batted in a deflection, but the goal was waved off due to a high-stick infraction. Winer came up big, though, late in the game, stopping two point-blank Maine shots with about seven minutes to play. UMass iced it away when Mauldin scored his 20th goal of the season on an empty-netter at 19:14. The Minutemen outshot Maine, 27-26, shots in the contest, with Winer coming up with 23 saves.

The Minutemen and Black Bears will play game two of the best two-of-three series on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. at Alfond Arena.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago